Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coming back to my senses  (Read 15739 times)

anneb

• Joined Aug 2008
Re: Coming back to my senses
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »
Hi sarah, sounds fascinating where you are, just one question, who pays the cowman, goatman and shepherd?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2010, 02:03:39 pm »
Im in Vinograd in the Veliko Tarnovo district northern Bulgaria , the amimals owners pay the shepherd ,goatman & cowman, I think its 3leva each per month, most of the land around is owned by the village it is like coopretive farming not individualy owned fields, there are a few houses for sale here some needing a lot of work & some basic but liveable, its a lovely place theres wild pigs, deer ,wolves, jackels & loads of eagles/hawks ect, most people grow all their own fruit n veg & meat,

anneb

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2010, 03:43:12 pm »
Do you have children Sarah?

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2010, 04:04:51 pm »
Yes 1 he goes to the village kindergarten ,

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:07 am »
Thanks for all the info anf feedback folks.  It's clear I'm going to have to do a lot of research on the net and travelling out to wherever I decide to look first.  Bulgaria sounds affordable on my budget.  Sweden sounds closer to the culture I'm used to but more expensive.  Either way the next year is going to be interesting (assuming I can sell my property in this market).

All the best
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2010, 02:37:07 pm »
(assuming I can sell my property in this market).

All the best

A house that is priced correctly will sell.  Most properties are going for the values set by the surveyors rather than at a premium.  If teh recession turns around as predicted later this year that may improve. Although in England it may stay the same due to their house buying system.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »
Its not easy to learn Bulgarian but no harder than any other language, there are quite a lot of english speaking people here, most younger bulgarians speak some english all the people we have met try to understand us & teach us bulgarian they are happy that we try , we havent used a translater at all & manage ok with paying bills, insureing the car, shopping, doctors ect, the people in our area are friendly & helpful there is no way we could afford our house anywhere else & the weather is good,

That's encouraging Sarah.  Bulgaria is definitely on my list.  I haven't been and need to take a look.  Are you aware of any decent property websites over there?  Also, how are planning regulations and do the authorities generally stay out of your way, or are they in your face like in the UK and France?

Just been re-reading this thread. Sarah is right with her advice. There are a lot of properties for sale in all areas of Bulgaria and some are better than others. Estate agents here can be a dodgy lot and there are no regulations for being an estate agent. Properties can be on many agents books and sometimes at different prices. Doing lots of research is the key and there are forums for ex-pats that can be helpful too. The best piece of advice is to not part with any money until you are totally sure it's what you want, whether that be buying property, building works etc.

We bought our house and other properties as a bundle because we wanted more than the average garden, ended up with 20,000m2 in a medium sized village but we did view the property then go back to the uk and think about it, glad we did as that actually saved us 14,000 euros when I found our house for sale on another agents site cheaper.

The cost of buying and living here is cheaper than the UK however getting any work is not easy and renovation costs have spiralled over the last 3 years due to material costs rising. There are some properties on ebay and one seller in particular is quite highly rated. Our friends came to buy a property last year and went with agents to view a lot for around 30,000 euro's, then spent a day with us asking the locals what was for sale and bought a huge, 15 yr old house that needs minimal work for just 12,500 euros. Buying direct from the seller is common here and can save a lot of money.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2010, 03:12:28 pm »
Don't get me started on planners.. I need planning permission to grow vegetables apparently..grrr..
No idea where the Black Isle is but have you looked on Lewis? My dad is looking there now and there are small houses with a few acre crofts up there for very resonable amounts. You only get to rent the croft usually but it'd be a start. Not sure what you'd be permitted to do though..might be worth looking at. Good luck wherever you end up.

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2010, 08:10:09 pm »
I have to agree with Rustyme, its about what you are prepared to put into it. To dive straight in at the deep end, without any employment to cushion outgoings is risky, but your choice. If you have skills to offer or trade, they could be helpful as you might get help in return, without having to stump up cash. Also don't forget animals, veg etc take time to grow and mature, so what do you live off while they do?

But, if it's what you really want and you don't mind being cold (and i mean Cold) early mornings getting wet and muddy (no turning over and ringing in sick), long hours when your exhausted, putting your hand in your pocket and getting no return for months. Stress free it ain't! And watching your chickens run free and lay eggs, seeing your pigs grow heavy and farrow, picking your own fruit straight from the tree, seeing your visitors enjoy your life style, fresh produce and eggs,feeding your chickens and pig. Then go for it, enjoy it and make the most of it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS