Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coming back to my senses  (Read 15740 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Coming back to my senses
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 07:33:39 pm »
I've seen woodlands for sale that have permission for camping and caravans - try here www.woodlands.co.uk  Their prices are high for the acreage but it might give you some ideas.  A lot of them have fishing and shooting rights too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »
I knew someone who bu9ilt a huge shelter/shed/barn? and told the planning it was for thier chickens.....they only had 2 but got planning permissions!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 10:17:25 pm »
This looks interesting - http://www.fieldtofarm.com/home
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 12:51:21 pm »
I knew someone who bu9ilt a huge shelter/shed/barn? and told the planning it was for thier chickens.....they only had 2 but got planning permissions!!!
God - I wish my planners would believe something like that ! LOL !
I had 4 years of business plans, meetings, redoing plans for position, features, blah, blah, blah when I finally got the planner to say okay, that seems fine - just submit you're plans (again !) and they went to a different planning officer who said no- absolutely no way  >:( And the original planner had left !  >:( >:( >:( Grrrrrrrrrrr ::)

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 06:12:05 pm »
Russ, no, the EU/ UK are definitely not democracies.  They may have been at one time.  I think the correct term for the UK structure is an 'oligarchy'.

Karen and Annie.  Thanks.  I'll check those links out Annie.  I suppose the idea of building a cabin in the woods is probably too shocking for planners to accept.  Does anyone have any idea what the rationale is behind UK planners?  Or is just a case of 'it depends on the personal taste/ mood/ feeling of the individual planner'?  That would make buying any land that doeesn't have planning permission a huge gamble.

Annie, what would be a decent price-range be per acre for land that you could use for agriculture and building a house on?  Is iit a reasonable risk to buy land without planning permission in the hope that you might get it?  If so, anyone any ideas what type of land this would be designated as?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:02:54 pm by FrankBlack »
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 06:53:21 pm »

I know people who bought agricultural land and then put rare breed sheep on it so planning allowed them then to put a static caravan on site.
They now a few years later have been able to build a house. So although it is a risk sometimes it does pay off.
I live in a village so although I bought what was agricultural land, it became amenity land as soon as I wanted to put horses on it and the price went up to 6k per acre
Anne

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 07:05:58 pm »
Thanks Anne.  It seems from what a few people have said that a certain amount of bobbing and weaving is necessary if we are to buy land and use it for what we want.  Are there 'rules of engagement' that we can get anywhere so that I can begin to figure out this whole land purchase and planning conundrum?
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 07:19:33 pm »
Annie, what would be a decent price-range be per acre for land that you could use for agriculture and building a house on?  Is iit a reasonable risk to buy land without planning permission in the hope that you might get it?  If so, anyone any ideas what type of land this would be designated as?

In Scotland, agri land is about £2000 an acre now but as I told you in my PM a piece of land with planning permission in Scotland for one house and a pretty big garden is worth upwards of £100K - even in today's market. That is because if you buy land and build, the selling price can be as much as double the build cost.  I have no idea what the figures are for England and Wales, nor for Ireland.

If you buy a piece of land - if you can find any in the first place - you need to check there isn't a covenant on it which prevents building a house on it.  I wouldn't take the chance of buying land in the hope of being able to build but I know it is done.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:46 pm »
I though i would say hiya from me

not putting any twopennys worth in because at the moment i don't have any thought.

Linz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 09:14:44 am »
Playing devils advocate planners are supposed to protect the environment and the locality and even the people who pay their salaries!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 10:46:32 am »
When buying property or land ALWAYS check the planning file in your planning office to make sure nothing unwanted is going up around you.

Regards,

Morgan

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 06:50:36 pm »
when I last bought land (granted it was adjacent to my existing garden) I paid £4,000 per acre for farmland.

sandy

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 10:16:28 pm »
Just thought I would add, thats a great aviator and name you got..is it really you? You look like a film star :love: :love: :love: Whops, got a bit carried away  but I just had to say it :-[ :-[

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 07:56:08 am »
Hi Sandy - no, I'm not Lance Henriksen.  It was either an avatar of him or Grace Kelly.  But I couldn't see her in a pair of wellies, pushing a wheelbarrow down the allotment.

Thanks for the input on land prices.  £2000 per acre in Scotland for arable land sounds reasonable.  The £4000 per acre - where abouts in the country was that Fergie, for comparison? 

I guess the next problem would be locating yourself in accommodation close enough to the land to manage/ work it.  Whilst also figuring out ways you could build chicken coops and stables etc on it for housing rare breeds of....animals :goat:.

Marcus Aurelius

HappyHippy

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 08:41:17 am »
THEORETICALLY - any 'movable' structure does not need planning permission. But this may have changed in the last few years  ??? So pig arcs, chicken houses (providing they're on skids for moving) and maybe even an open field shelter (again, fit skids, even if it never moves you can at least say it's able to be moved ;)) should all be okay.
The best bit of advice I could give would be once you've chosen your area/piece of land try and talk to the planners in that area - BEFORE you buy it. They might give an idea of what would be acceptable, should you get the land. Title deed searches will let you know if there are any covenantants or prohibitions on the land in question. Rare breeds do sometimes provide a wee bit more oomph when it comes to getting pp - but not always. Good business plans and providing proof of viability and sustainability all help with the process too.
Hope that helps, Karen x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS