Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The last cuckoo call of the year  (Read 2832 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
The last cuckoo call of the year
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:11:05 am »

The last Cuckoo call of the year

We heard ours in the area of our big oaks for the last time on the evening of the 27 August.  ( now I can have a lay in till spring )

Anyone still hearing them in their localities
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: The last cuckoo call of the year
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:34:48 am »

We don't hear them at any time - there don't seem to be any cuckoos hereabouts, in our part of the south of Scotland.  How lucky you are to have them in your area.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:44:02 am »
i dont think iv ever heard a cuckoo. plenty of seagulls...mind  ;D ;D ;D
i do like the call of the buzzard though, they circle our farm.  :love:

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »
I haven't heard a cockoo since May or early June...most adult cockoos left the UK some time ago.  Perhaps the one you heard was a fledged youngest on their way south?

The British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) have been satellite tracking cuckoos caught in the UK for the past few years.  You can follow their migration on this website.  As you can see, the tracked birds started leaving the UK in late June and early July.  Most are in west and central Africa right now!

http://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
We had a juvenile hanging about the garden for most of the last week in July/first in August.  I think the adults migrate earlier and the juveniles make their own way a few weeks later.

This young bird was the most pathetic bird I have ever seen.  It spent its days sitting on a fence post making a feeble squeaking noise and keeping its mouth open demanding to be fed.  Every so often it would fly to the other side of the garden as if to try and make its 'parents' life a bit more difficult.
The 'parent' birds were meadow pipits who, being tiny beside a cuckoo, had to perch on the cuckoos shoulder in order to get food into its mouth.  Quite a comical sight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS