Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass snakes and compost info pls!  (Read 2677 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Grass snakes and compost info pls!
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:30:11 am »
https://www.facebook.com/127693420597938/photos/pcb.809505765750030/809505315750075/?type=1&theater

Yesterday the cat and dog found the snake in the picture near our compost pit.   I'm wondering if this means there are loads more in there and now I don't know if I can dig in there (ok, I'm a bit scared of spearing one with a fork...)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Grass snakes and compost info pls!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:33:13 am »
Probably!  We had a loving couple in our old bins one season, they seem to like the warmth and shelter to have baby grass snakes - and who can blame them?  We left them to it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:41:00 am »
Compost bins are great places for grass snakes to breed :)

I disturbed a 5' one once, when WWOOFing in Somerset.  I was working with a Kiwi WWOOFer; she was incredibly impressed at my handling it!  lol.  We only have three snakes and I knew it wasn't the poisonous one!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:01:26 am »
I'm rather hoping that our compost heaps and pond will attract them here. My brother suggested putting a sheet of wriggly tin near the pond as they like to lie under that apparently. I check occasionally but haven't seen anything.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:49:23 am »
It was really exciting (especially for the children) to find it yesterday. First time we've seen one in the garden and it was very beautiful...
When will I be safe to dig again do you think? am really mindful of hurting them.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »

That's so beautiful  :love:  I'm afraid I can't help with your question as I know nothing about them, but there's bound to be plenty on Wiki and other places.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS