Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbit Stew  (Read 5017 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
Rabbit Stew
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:05:15 am »
Hello all

Does anyone have any good rabbit stew/pie recipes please or can point me in the direction of one?

Many thanks

Maddox

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Rabbit Stew
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:00:27 pm »
Fist of all chop off the front end (above the loin) and give it to the dogs. Divide the rest into eight or ten pieces and fry gently in a stew pan in oil until brownish. Drain in a slotted spoon and put to one side. Put into pan chopped up onion, carrot, parsnip and potato and saute gently  for a few minutes. Put rabbit back in and add stock, if you have it, or water if not( to cover) plus ground pepper and a little salt and simmer gently for a couple of hours.
When the meat and veg. are tender, add chopped sage and thyme ( about a small handful) and put aside until next day. Not in the fridge, but in a cool place.
Nexy day bring to the boil, add small dumplings, cook 'til dumplings are done, put in a bit of gravy thickener if needed and serve. Lovely!!

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:18:09 pm »
As Sylvis recipe above but put about two tablespoons of Honey in and use dry cider instead of water. MMM!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:50:53 am »
I put pearl barley in mine (but then, I put it in everything!)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:20:04 pm »
Oohh sounds lovely, many thanks

Maddox

alfiepork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:29 am »
As Sylvis recipe above but put about two tablespoons of Honey in and use dry cider instead of water. MMM!

I can't get cider so use apple juice instead but equally as good

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:11 am »
Mrs J no gittin nasty wi George I absolutely hate pearl barley My muther ust ter put it in veg soup and call it Scotch Broth mind you she couldn't boil shavin watter properly ;D I've niver ffarnd oat it improves.Ruins yes Rotten gummy muck :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:55:28 pm »
Phwoar that sounds a good recipe!  :yum: :yum:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 03:01:27 pm »
I never knew how to spell it sage It is as descriptive as G R's I think because his is universally understood intit The Captain of the Titanic is reputed to have said Where is all this GR water coming from.The Mayor of Hiroshima also said What the GR was that ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:03:21 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:58:45 pm »
You forgot the stressed out guy in Hiroshima who said, this day can't get any worse.... ;D
And yes, it's hard to spell sounds  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS