Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: converting a general purpose trailer to a stock trailer???  (Read 9195 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
converting a general purpose trailer to a stock trailer???
« on: August 30, 2014, 03:10:58 pm »
has any one done this legally?

i have an 8 x 4 general purpose trailer with cage sides and tail ramp.

all the sides etc can be removed, is it possible to fit a replacement top section thats enclosed and some gates and use it as a stock trailer?

if you have done it can you give me some clues how you went about it etc...

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
Re: converting a general purpose trailer to a stock trailer???
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:03:08 pm »
I saw a trailer on ebay recently that was mesh sides and had had a plywood roof added to it by bolting through the top frame of the mesh sides - although it wasnt meant to be a stock trailer, that might be an option for you.

That said ( apart from the risk of the livestock jumping out ) do you legally need a roof on a stock trailer ?

Regards

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:09:44 pm »
the rules i can find say fully enclosed... no details.

i had the thought of the plywood roof as a temp solution for on the field movements but am just toying with a conversion so i don't have to store 2 trailers...

i think i have a plan coming together just wondered if anyone had any experience though?

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »
I forgot to add that the whole trailer was then able to be covered with a tarpaulin cover which meant that the plywood roof didnt have to be waterproofed.

Regards
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:28 pm »
The only thing I can see you needing to consider is gates on the side of the ramp. These are a legal requirement when moving animals and I have seen some 'homemade' trailer being ticked off for not having them. I have seen people get away with using hurdles down either side whilst loading.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »
You might get a better idea by looking at the Ifor Williams P6E (6' x 4') trailer details - these can be fitted with mesh sides or the full livestock kit of roof/sides/gates.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »
Bloomer,

I meant to discuss this with you the other night.  I'm sure your trailer could be easily converted by fitting some plywood boards inside the mesh panels all the way round the sides (that's fully enclosed, right!?), and a plywood roof on top. Your sheep are only wee, so the existing mesh sides should give them ample headroom.

The loading ramps could be easily improvised with some sheets of ply cut to size which just fitted on on either side of the tailgate before you open it. They could then easily be stored on top of the roof when not in use.

All done for about fifty quid I reckon!  :thumbsup:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 10:50:56 pm »
I've got a metal bed frame here which was halved and adapted to allow the two halves to move like the loading gates on a standard stock trailer  :thumbsup:
Never got round to putting the trailer together, so they're still kicking about  :innocent: I'll have a look at them tomorrow and if they're still good you're welcome to have them. You'd just need some little brackets to hold them in place.
Ditto the plywood panels (bolted on, so easy to remove) and a tarp over the top to waterproof - easy, cheap and won't stop you using the trailer for anything else.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 11:31:13 pm »
Nice one Karen!   BTW Bloomer, I have a basic welding kit here and some even more basic welding skills if that's any use to you for attaching hinges to loading gates etc.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 02:02:54 pm »
Have a p6e with mesh sides for the quad , used it to move pigs when buying or selling .  2 wooden ramp gates fastened to the mesh sides ,  marine ply boards on the inside with a rail on the outside  held in place by 2 bolts  on each side and front .  board on a wooden frame for the roof sitting over the mesh sides, with rails on the inside again bolts to hold tight , simples      hope this is clearer than mud  :thumbsup:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 02:23:12 pm »
thanks all, im going to do a plywood conversion kit i think, sounds like a plan anyway and i have till the end of october before i need a trailer again for public highway use :-)

womble may take you up on some amateur welding of some brackets i'll see how it all goes!!!

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 04:01:08 pm »
hi there I have the exact same isue a gd 8x4 with the mesh, but i would like to use
it leagaly for livstock, don't see why not if you can as it has been said done on a 6x4.
There is a ifor W steel hard top, made for the GD8x4. could this and some sides for loading. make it with in the norms.
  http://www.iwt.co.uk/resource/eng/1801.11866.thumbnail.eng.jpg

straush

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 01:35:24 pm »
Hi - this thread is reasonable old and I wonder if the regulations has changed.

If I want to get a general purpose and convert it where can I see the requirements - sounds like solid roof and ramps is needed - any idea what else or where I can get the requirements ? 

We are looking to have a handful of sheep and some pet goats. So will need transport maybe a couple of times a year - when we buy them and when we take sheep to abottoir

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 05:52:26 pm »
Don't forget the legal obligation to disinfect when you've taken animals to any other holding, including the abattoir.  I don't think plywood would comply?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS