Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PTO guards  (Read 2243 times)

watty watt

• Joined Nov 2015
PTO guards
« on: September 13, 2016, 12:18:29 am »
I made a PTO guard for my ted20 to cover the overrun adaptor.
Now I've attached a Ferguson original guard, but it doesn't cover the adaptor and therefore also the PTO UJ will be exposed. There are two bolt holes on the lower edgescof the guard and a slot for a  locking bolt on the top - as if it's designed to take an extension guard. Anybody seen/made such a thing? Will the guard or overrun adaptor foul the pickup hitch? Any ideas gratefully received.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
Re: PTO guards
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:01 pm »
I've had the same problem with my TED20; unfortunately the original PTO guards were fairly small and not designed to accommodate an o/r clutch adaptor. I've heard, but not yet tried, that the MF35 guard will fit as they have the same mounting hole centres (can Stufe35 confirm?) so that may be worth a look, as I believe they are bit bigger.

Adding an extension to the original guard might be feasible but it needs to be made of at least 1/8" or 3mm steel sheet and that's not easily bent up without suitable tooling/heat.

It might be worth a talk to your local ag engineers to see if they can suggest one from another tractor.

I've not found any problem with my o/r adaptor fouling the pickup hitch.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:44:45 pm »
Yes mounting bolts are the same on TE20s and 35s,  a 35 guard shouldn't foul the pickup hitch as they don't on the 35 and all the dimensions are the same.

watty watt

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:23:09 am »
Thanks for the advice. I think the guard came from a 135, but it's still about 50mm short to cover the o/r adaptor.

I have just discovered a blacksmith in Arnprior by Stirling who knows and understands old equipment, and he would fabricate something better than I could ever do. I've been experimenting with cardboard forms, and think I'll need one guard for the drive and a separate one for when the PTO is in use. Neither is entirely easy to visualise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS