Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who has too many cook books?  (Read 13622 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:45:50 pm by r+lchick »

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Who has too many cook books?
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 10:50:07 am »
Mrsj. Could we have the Lamb recipe please?
Sorry, didnt see this - will copy it over tonight.  It was delicious, a real "Stick to your ribs" meal, just right to eat in front of the fire.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 11:38:26 am »
Thanks for finding me the book. I have ordered one.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »
Recipe for Harrira (actually courtesy of Jennifer Patterson) from the book "Two Fat Ladies Full Throttle".  It sounds like a lot of ingredients but we always keep a lot of spices in the house for curries and sausage making.

4 oz chickpeas, 3/4 lb cubed lamb, 1 large onion chopped, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 oz butter, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, salt & pepper, 1 pt chicken stock, 14oz tinned chopped tomatoes, 2 oz long grein rice, 1 red pepper chopped, juice 1 lemon, chopped parsley.

1. Soak the chickpeas overnight, drain and cook rapidly for 10 mins, then simmer for a further 20 mins, then drain. 
2. Fry the onion in the oil and butter until translucent.  Add the lamb and brown evenly.  Add the ginger, corriander, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper and fry for a few minutes. 
3. Transfer to a saucepan and add the stock.  Cover and cook gently for an hour. 
4. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, rice, red pepper and lemon juice and cook for a further 30 mins. 
5. Sprinkle with the parsley.

I served it in a bowl as it was a bit runny, with a chunk of bread - lovely!
This recipe is for raw lamb and dried chick peas but I substituted leftover lamb and a large tin of chick peas so missed out the soaking/cooking of the chickpease and the first hour of cooking the meat.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 10:07:40 pm »
Top marks to MrsJ!! Harrira soup is amazingly tasty!.
On the subject of cookbooks, I have "Maw Broons cookbook" some excellent old recipes in there, the trouble is,,it's made my trousers and shirts shrink!
Gordon.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 07:52:55 pm »
Have tried your recipe mrs j. lovely!

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:01 am »
After bleeting about having too many cook books, what do I do this weekend - buy two more.  One was a Readers Digest Country cookbook to go with my month by month one and the other was about beans an pulses.  You just can't stop yourself can you.  Together they cost under £5.00 to not too bad on the purse.  Ros  :chook: :cat:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 12:09:06 pm »
I was inspred by your lamb and chickpea recipe, and made something similar this weekend, but with added chorizo, and no peppers. It was well recieved by our visitors, and very filling. i will alter it agin next time and use pork, cumberland suasage and those big white beans as the main ingredients. will also alter the herbs and spices a bit. not sure what to call it? smallholders pork warmer?

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 08:01:39 am »
Sorry
dont get this thread at all  :o

How can TOO MANY and the word BOOKS be put together in a sentence

IMPOSSIBLE to have too many - more more more    ;D ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 10:03:27 am »
Totally agree Snoopy!  ;D  Have well over 200 cookery books.  Some really grubby through over use, but I know them well enough to think I need to cook a certain ingredient - oh yes Ms Grigson is good for that...etc.  The only cookery books I tend to ignore are American ones.  I have never found a decent one with reliable recipes.

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 12:53:45 pm »
I noticed a couple of books when Sandy and I went shopping on Thursday - Mrs Beeton - I've got an original one of hers.  A bit battered but still readable, one of the adverts has the date 1922 on it.

Loads of books here but Mrs Beeton is the one used most - 107 years old my copy is and definitely looking worse for wear but has some great stuff in plus illustrations.

Gotta be one of the best things I ever inherited!
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30:02 pm »
I've got way too many  (just considering the space on the shelves!!!) but am still asking for more...Will get the Sicilian kitchen from my mum and Jamies At home from OH (wanted it for years!). I love the inspiration to try something new but in the end I tend to do one out of each book - but quite often again and again.
If you want to let me know what you want to get rid of, I might just like it and send you the postage lol :&>

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 12:42:00 pm »
You CANT HAVE too many cook books, you just cant!

I have loads and I love every one.of them I read and re-read them many times and often give a book to my family and say "pick one"  :D

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 10:20:45 am »
Got more for Christmas - hooray

Love the River Cottage Every day - and Hugh signed it too, also got the Diary 2010 - well they were Joes' presents,
but its me that will end up doing the cooking and putting dates in his diary as usual  ;D ;D ;D

Bought Jenny Bristows Today and Everyday Cookbook, secondhand for 3 quid in the North, a bargain  ;D

Also got a lovely Scottish Recipe book too, and  The Chinese Kitchen, that has great recipes in so will soon be
having a dinner party chinese style

Keep them coming......

Recommendations

M & S Has a lot of reproduced Mrs Beeton books in stock and they will probably put them in the sale.

Any Womens Institute books are always full of great recipes and ideas - so look out for those in the sales too!

Happy 2010

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 02:53:00 pm »
I've got way too many  (just considering the space on the shelves!!!) but am still asking for more...Will get the Sicilian kitchen from my mum and Jamies At home from OH (wanted it for years!). I love the inspiration to try something new but in the end I tend to do one out of each book - but quite often again and again.
If you want to let me know what you want to get rid of, I might just like it and send you the postage lol :&>
I just had a thought (yes, I know, it's dangerous at my age  ;) ;D ;D)  We could all meet at James and Kenny's hotel for lunch some day and have a 'swap shop'.  Not just cook books - other things as well.  We could decide on a date and put a list on here of wants and offers - what do you all think?  That could work in other areas too - look on the members map to see who's near you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS