Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who has too many cook books?  (Read 13621 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Who has too many cook books?
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:26:06 am »
OK, hands up.  Who had a great row of cook books and only uses 3.  I'll start the Mexican Wave.  I have a great pile of cook books and use for most of the time an old Readers Digest book.  Possibly one or two others.  I bought a lovely cook book on soups and breads but the ingredients are so expensive or so wasteful that I have never used it.  I may copy the recipies out of some books and then get rid of them.  Anyone want a cook book?

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Who has too many cook books?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:34:49 am »
I know the feeling. I get cook books for presents, and most have never been used, just flicked through and pictures admired. I tend to use only a handful of books and you can tell which ones becuase they have recipes torn from glossy mags etc stored between the pages. with xmas on the way i am expecting more books. I can no longer keep them all in the kitchen and many are hidden away, reducing the chance of ever using them.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:28:01 am »
We could start a swop club.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:03:48 am »
Don't want to swap, but if I work out the postage will gladly send them on to people for the price of postage?  Any takers?

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:17:29 am »
My recipies are in the form of bookmarks on my laptop  :D lol
It a nightmare when my internet collection is lost   ::)

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:20:47 am »
 ;)i just love cook books you can never have too many who's going to start a list on whats for swaps etc. ???
this could end up being a long post if every one has a house full ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 04:08:29 pm »
I like having lots of cookery books - the pictures are the best bit.  It's nice to see what my food COULD look like if I didn't add bits here and take bits away there! ;D ;D ;D

My two mostest ever favourites are my signed copy of Nick Nairn's salmon cook book, and my well thumbed, with stuck together pages, all jammy, syrupy, and gravy - y, Katie Stewart.  I am about to make a Christmas cake from that for the CSSA Secret Santa at the AGM in December.  Was going to do one for the TAS meeting innGlasgow on the 7th, but had to think of something much lighter in case Snoopy got it ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 07:40:28 pm »
I have loads.  I did try to rationalise the collection but MrJ wouldnt let me get rid of any.  He said we might need them at some time!  I write in mine - I know, some people would have a fit, but I have one of my gran's cook books and I love the fact that she has written little notes in the margin and added suggestions.  I love all the splashes on the favourite recipes.  Yesterday, I asked Stu what he wanted for Sunday lunch and mentioned that most people only use a few recipes over and over again, so he opend a cookery book and we're having Clarissa's spicy lamb with chickpeas.  I think I should try and do this at least once a week.  There must be lots of lovely recipes on my shelf, just waiting to be discovered.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 07:45:57 pm »
I noticed a couple of books when Sandy and I went shopping on Thursday - Mrs Beeton - I've got an original one of hers.  A bit battered but still readable, one of the adverts has the date 1922 on it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »
Have to say I am n the 'never have too many cook books' category. Everybody knows if they are stuck for a Christmas Pressie a cook book or a kitchengadget and I am happy.  I tend to read them like books, and generally have a pile at the side of the bed.  only problem is I have a lousy memory and can never remember where I have seen the very recipe I need  ::)

Katrina
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:31:33 am »
Mrsj. Could we have the Lamb recipe please?

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:55:50 am »
a good idea? open a different book at least once a week and find a recipe you've not done, using ingredients you have. I will look out for clarrissa's spicy lamb as i have folk coming saturday lunch and i have loads of lamb and chick peas in my stockplie already. dark evenings, nowt on the box worth wasteing time over, get cooking. i might actually use more of my books rather than hide them away for months on end.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:05:10 pm »
I can read a cookery book like a novel, from cover to cover! I counted and find I have seventy four!! but wouldn't part with any.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 07:04:22 pm »
Yesterday, I asked Stu what he wanted for Sunday lunch and mentioned that most people only use a few recipes over and over again, so he opend a cookery book and we're having Clarissa's spicy lamb with chickpeas.  I think I should try and do this at least once a week. 

Thats the kind of theme i use, first i start off planning our tea meals for the week and find a new recipie id like to try. So i get only the ingredients i will need for the weeks teas, it makes life so much easyer knowing what were having and how long it will take each night to cook,  my weekly shop is soooo much cheaper and i dont buy anything i dont need!!  ;D

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:20:54 pm »
What I really want is a copy of " A shilling cookery for the people" by Alexis Sover. Anyone got one or know where I can get it?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS