Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Copper Black Marans - boys or girls  (Read 6058 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Copper Black Marans - boys or girls
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:35:11 pm »
We bought Copper Black Maran eggs on Ebay four weeks ago. Six of the eggs hatched (out of 10) on Wednesday. Two of the chicks are noticably bigger than the other four and have distinct copper heads. Is this significant i.e. are they male and the others female? I know some breeds have different markings depending on sex.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Copper Black Marans - boys or girls
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:41:09 pm »
Did you find out what sex they were?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 11:55:38 pm »
Hi, HM

I did - at least I looked at some photos of adult birds and the females are black and the males are brown with copper heads. I have therefore deduced that I have four females and two males. They're lovely - the girls are black and cream and the two boys have very distinctive copper heads. Today's plan is to keep a breeding trio and sell one.

Tomorrow, they go from our spare room to the garage, thence to the garden once they are fully feathered.

mojo

• Joined May 2008
  • glenay 79330 france
  • retired and married in north deux sevre FRANCE
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:12:29 am »
hi rosemary...........black/copper marans are local birds wher i live........they produc wonderfull brown eggs and taste good too.....dont be too quick to sell off your excess stock......3 hens and 1 coq are a good setup try to pick birds of similair size...............good luck tell us how you get on please
retired to deep in rural france.keep 2 shih tzu dogs ( 1 boy 1 girl),1 cat(girl),lots of pure breed chickens(both sexes)....golden pheasants(both sexes) and the best wife a man could have

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 02:52:18 pm »
I have some female marrans black with brown feathering on their heads, very pretty, lay an almost pink egg. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:08:55 pm »
Our six seem to be doing fine - growing well outside now. Size wise they're all much the same. I'll certainly hang on to them until they come into lay. If the fox takes any more of our layers, I'll certainly need them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS