Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice in Chickens  (Read 3184 times)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Lice in Chickens
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:48:39 am »
Sorry me again - what a week.  We have just killed 3 chickens for the freezer and on plucking them found they have lice (this may be a really stupid question) but can we eat them still once they have been plucked and cleaned?  Hubby says of course we can and I am being silly.

Next question what do you recommend please for lice in chickens?  Our pigs have got them again as well don't really understand why - what causes them please?

Thanks again.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Lice in Chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 12:51:20 pm »
Yes, you can eat them once they are plucked.

I expect all poultry have some lice burden - they get them off wild birds. We treat outs with a natural louse powder every ten days or so and dust the ark as well, when it's cleaned out. The way we do it is a two person job. I catch the hens - we do it first thing in the mroning so we catch them in the roost - fold in the wings and turn them on their back on a wee table. Lice are mainy found round the vent and under the wings - so Dan dusts those areas with powder. If there are any feathers with very heavy egg burden he plucks them out and burns them.

The lice on the pigs won't be the same as on the chickens - I'm pretty sure they are host specific - and I'm sure someone will be able to advise on the pigs.

Hope this helps

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Lice in Chickens
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:02:11 pm »
Hi Rosemary

Thanks very much for that - great relief!

:chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS