Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone have any experience of Erysipelas??  (Read 9817 times)

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
Re: Anyone have any experience of Erysipelas??
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 08:11:26 pm »
She's not looking good.  First batch of antibiotics and antiinflammatories didn't really help much.  Vet came back last week (I was on holiday but housesitter was given instructions to call vet if there was any doubt).  Vet gave another course of the same meds which she finished yesterday.  I have just been to see her (back off hols today) and she is subdued and not really able to get up.  She did eat the melon I gave her though. The first vet visit was the day she first went lame, so she was treated quickly.  Her quality of life is crap though, so I think I will talk to vet tomorrow about penicillin and likelihood of recovery and if vet doesn't think there's much hope it looks like I'll have to make a horrible decision :(
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 09:00:25 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that.   If she still can not get up and walk around normally it does look bleak, and perhaps the kindest thing will be making the horrible decision.   Very difficult for you, and you have my sympathy.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 09:22:10 am »
She's not looking good.  First batch of antibiotics and antiinflammatories didn't really help much.  Vet came back last week (I was on holiday but housesitter was given instructions to call vet if there was any doubt).  Vet gave another course of the same meds which she finished yesterday.  I have just been to see her (back off hols today) and she is subdued and not really able to get up.  She did eat the melon I gave her though. The first vet visit was the day she first went lame, so she was treated quickly.  Her quality of life is crap though, so I think I will talk to vet tomorrow about penicillin and likelihood of recovery and if vet doesn't think there's much hope it looks like I'll have to make a horrible decision :(

How does her skin look now? Also, out of interest- why is she having oral antibiotics?
What has the vet prescribed?

Don't loose all hope, we managed to recover a pig that I thought was for the knacker men a few weeks ago  :fc:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

How does her skin look now? Also, out of interest- why is she having oral antibiotics?
What has the vet prescribed?

Don't loose all hope, we managed to recover a pig that I thought was for the knacker men a few weeks ago  :fc:

Thanks.

She never had any of the skin lesions (vet said it had manifested itself in her joints only).  She was given oral antibiotics because the vet didn't think she'd be able to inject and therefore thought i certainly wouldn't be able to do any follow up jabs!  She was prescribed Trimediazine Plain and Pro-Dynam on both occasions.
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 04:02:47 pm »
So sorry to hear, we know what you're going through.  Our Berkshire kept nibbling and drinking a bit and we were so hopeful for what seems now like a few weeks but she never really recovered and in the end she had what looked like a massive heart attack and died.  The vet had told us that Eri can affect the heart muscles.  It's all very sad, we said never again to unvac'd stock.

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 04:14:30 pm »
So sorry to hear, we know what you're going through.  Our Berkshire kept nibbling and drinking a bit and we were so hopeful for what seems now like a few weeks but she never really recovered and in the end she had what looked like a massive heart attack and died.  The vet had told us that Eri can affect the heart muscles.  It's all very sad, we said never again to unvac'd stock.

I'm worried about this happening to my pig.  I have just spoken to the vet who said the next step is to try injecting a different antibiotic and painkiller daily for a week.  Is this really fair on the pig??  Is it too late or could she make a recovery at this stage?  I don't know what to do  :(

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 07:39:52 am »
I would say it depends how the pig is in herself. If she looks fed up and like she has given up then call it a day. If there is still fight in her then may be worth a try x.
It is horrible when they are poorly and they are the worst animals in the world to nurse!! We had a really sick sow earlier this year after farrowing. She was definately down the tunnel and seeing the light she was so ill. Got vet to drip her up, she is a favourite sow of mine! We got her through it though and she has made a full recovery.  peaches got her eating again.  Xx

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 08:52:10 pm »
Hiya. So sorry to hear. My mangaliza got ill after farrowing nd off her feed. However got some honey on my fingers nd got it into her mouth.  It's pre digested by the bees so takes no energy from the sick animal to digest. Got 2 different antibods to get her right..good luck.
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 09:45:31 am »
Well, we tried with the penicillin. Sadly, it hasn't helped and I am going to call the vet to have her pts.  If only vet had given me that in the first place, maybe she would have stood a chance.  Poor girl, it's just dragged it out over a month now and I have a massive bill as the icing on the cake!  Sometimes I'm not sure having pets is worth the heartbreak of losing them  :(

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 07:59:39 pm »
What very bad luck - I was so hoping there would be a happy ending to your story.   It will be heartbreaking having to do the deed after all this time, but it is probably the kindest thing to do.   Is your other piglet still OK?   Perhaps you could look forward to getting another companion for him/her.  Best wishes at this awful time  :gloomy: :( :'(  Tamsaddle

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:07 pm »
So sorry.  I know exactly what you're going through.  We lost both our girls to it last year.  All I can say is that our second girl had massive doses of penicillin and we really thought we had caught it at 'day 1'  but we still lost her, so I am sure that everything that you did was more than enough.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS