Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone have any experience of Erysipelas??  (Read 9827 times)

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
Anyone have any experience of Erysipelas??
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:16:27 am »
Long story, but I will try to condense it.  I had two 3 yr old kunekune gilts which seemed to be perfectly healthy. During the heatwave, one suddenly died.  The other was very listless without her companion so I bought a 3 month old female piglet as a new companion.  All fine so far.  Three weeks after introducing the new piglet, the remaining gilt become very lame (yesterday morning).  She was reluctant to rise and would not bear weight on her left hind leg. I called the vet who was not able to take a temperature or examine the leg very well, but suspected erysipelas and prescribed antiobiotics and pain killers which are in powder form which I have to give in feed for next five days.  Pig had first lot last night.  This morning, her condition seems worse.  She is now holding up the opposite hind leg, and really struggled to get up this morning. She is still eating but her appetite is not what it usually is.  She also had a drink this morning.  I can't see any skin lesions.  The piglet is fine and is showing no symptoms.  Can anyone offer any advice?  I will of course keep going with the meds, but just wanted some reassurance from some people who might know more about this than me.  These are pet pigs by the way.
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Anyone have any experience of Erysipelas??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:55 am »
Like any disease erysipelas can show symptoms of varying intensity and the disease will also vary according to the age of the pig, its condition, how early the treatment began, and so on.  I suggest trying a few treats, such as apples or whatever's the favourite, to keep up interest in food - so vital to any recovering animal but especially so for pigs.  Sounds like you're doing all you can.  Sometimes you just have to cross your fingers and hope very hard.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:40 am »
My pigs had it on two or three occasions, including our own home born piglets vaccinated with the double dose of PorcEry at the correct ages.  Each time we had a problem could be linked to having introduced bought in weaners to our own herd, or a sow had come back from visiting a boar elsewhere.   The critical thing when you seen those symptoms, listlessness, loss of appetite and weakness in the back legs, is to take their temperature at once, and if it is very high, start antibiotics as soon as possible, within hours or minutes if possible.   The pigs who got antibiotics really fast always made the fullest and quickest recovery, and their temperature would be down within 24 hours.   We had quite a range of skin lesions - some very obvious raised, red, diamond shaped things, others just a bit of a red blob and others no skin lesions at all.   Mostly, skin lesions came on later than the high temperature.    Fortunately we never lost a pig, but the speed they go downhill with it if left untreated is terrifying.   They all went on to be perfectly normal pigs, normal weight at slaughter and the usual delicious pork at the end.

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:46:54 am »
Thanks guys.  The vet attempted to take temperature but was unable to ::)

After doing some internet research I see that penicillin is very effective, but the vet hasn't given me penicillin!! I hope that she makes a recovery, as she is a much loved pet.
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:14:56 pm »
Ours always had penicillin, Betamox, and injected not oral, to get it into their system, fast.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 12:53:44 pm »
Ours had it also by injection, they never went lame just ill (inc not eating and fever) and with the skin lesions. Try giving her bananas or apples with the medication on them if her appetite is down.

Good luck  :fc:

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 01:31:00 pm »
She's having her meds in mashed up banana as they've given me the most enormous sachets (for a 500kg horse!!). I do wonder about vets sometimes!

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »
What antibiotics has your vet given you? If your pig's eating, then hopefully the antibiotics will be hitting the spot, but I'd have thought injections would have been better. I know what you mean when you say you wonder about vets sometimes, but spare a wee bit of sympathy for them. no-one can know everything about all diseases in all animals: all vets have their areas of expertise. Most vets don't know an awful lot about pigs, especially rare breed pigs, because they don't see many! A good vet will acknowledge your own level of expertise and ability. I'f your pig's getting better, great  :relief:
If not, I'd contact your vet and ask for some ultrapen LA injection!

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »
Sounds like you have either Trimadiazine or norodine? Both are TMPS which is a broad spectrum antibiotic.Ery is treated with penicillin. The pig isnt having one sachet a day is it?? Thats a hell of a lot of powder to get into it if it is and a massive dose too!! Hope it helps your pig and she starts  to feel better soon though x.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »
If your facilities didn't allow even enough restraint to take your pigs temperature I think that explains why you vet gave you oral meds rather than getting you to inject every day. Sometimes what appears to be the second best option is really the best for human & animal welfare.  If she's still eating it looks promising for a good recovery.  Things I've found also help appetite include gingernuts and stout.

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:09:17 pm »
Sounds like you have either Trimadiazine or norodine? Both are TMPS which is a broad spectrum antibiotic.Ery is treated with penicillin. The pig isnt having one sachet a day is it?? Thats a hell of a lot of powder to get into it if it is and a massive dose too!! Hope it helps your pig and she starts  to feel better soon though x.

Yes the vet gave us Trimediazine Plain (50g sachet!).  I understand that being a vet is a difficult job, but was rather dismayed when she turned to the student who was observing and asked him if it was safe to give Bute to pigs.

Anyway, getting back to the pig.  There was a definite improvement yesterday but she is not so good today.  Vet coming back tomorrow.

Can they make a full recovery after this disease?  I don't want to use her for breeding, but I don't want her to suffer for the rest of her life.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:02 am »
Yes they can recover if caught quickly. Can you check her temperature? Penicillin is the best thing for it reall if you can manage to inject her

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:21:36 am »
If your pig is a pet and friendly, it shouldn't be too difficult taking its temperature.  Most don't bat an eyelid, and it takes less than a minute.  Use a bit of lubricant on the thermometer tip and insert it into the anus, the top hole (if it is a girl) and just hold it there very still.    What their temperature is is key to knowing whether they've got Ery (40 to 42), and whether they are getting better.  As I said in my first reply they recover completely if injected with penicillin at the very earliest opportunity.   I've read, but have no experience, of the outlook not being good if the treatment was too late.  Do hope your pig gets better - keep us posted.   

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:27 pm »
Use a bit of lubricant on the thermometer tip and insert it into the anus, the top hole (if it is a girl)

i did have to laugh at this - i hope to god that anyone keeping pigs will have enough knowledge to recognise an arsehole  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 08:47:51 pm »
We lost two berkshires to eri last year.  The second one we tried to treat repeatedly for two or three weeks but ultimately she died too.   We never saw a lesion, they just became lethargic and stopped eating.  Weight loss was obvious too.  We injected them too.  Good luck, I hope they pull through.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:50:47 pm by Bumblebear »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS