Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lleyns anyone?  (Read 19120 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Lleyns anyone?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 08:16:35 pm »
We tried 10 lleyn ewes this time, usually have just texel, suffolk and mules (and their crosses). Out of 10 ewes 2 will have to go through mastitis.  They are all mad as frogs, couldn't get near some of them to lamb, and their lambs were tiny.  That said they are growing really well and "the boss" really likes them.  The mules are far easier, just as prolific and milky.  I'd prefer sheep that would come to the bucket as at least you can get them inside.  The Lleyns never really came to the feed troughs much - too stand offish.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 12:02:39 am »
They are very good mother's tho! Will see what they lamb like to a terminal sire next year  ;D
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 09:12:19 am »
There is a lot of variation in Lleyn in size, type, temperament and performance. Where did you get your 10? 

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 01:08:10 pm »
I've had a look around, and there is actually a breeder quite close to me but they haven't any stock to sell this year as they've had a baby themselves, so my mum met a chap 4 miles away that breeds a variety of crosses and says I'm welcome to come and have a look/choose and will give me a kind price for my first flock, so thinking get these and see how I get on for year 1, then go to this breeder of lleyns next year once I've got abit of a bigger budget if I'm not too keen on these crosses....might be that a flock of good quality crosses will do me just as well

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:13 pm »
There is a lot of variation in Lleyn in size, type, temperament and performance. Where did you get your 10? 

from a Welshman in the Yorkshire Dales!  They were shearings this time, so may quieten down next year hopefully!

We used a Lleyn tup on all the shearings this year, which apart from these Lleyns, were Texels & Suffolks and their crosses.  This worked really well giving smaller lambs from the texels which is what we wanted for their first time for easier lambing.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
Never buy sheep off a Welshman. The only reason he would sell one is to get back at her after a row.

Unless that Welshman is Me... when you should only buy sheep off a Welshman.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2014, 11:43:09 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS