Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help new to sheep  (Read 3627 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Help new to sheep
« on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:58 pm »
Hi
 I'm relatively new to sheep am concerned about them and if I am doing the right thing or not. They are ewe lambs but they are really big and are born in January some am putting the biggest three to the tup this year and leaving the rest out. The sheep I have are Zwartbles so are prolific mothers and extremely milky. Do I need to dose them or not I have given them all worming stuff twice this year but is there anything else I need to do other than give them there heptavac injection? They seem happy enough just minding there own business until two of them had foot problems so called out vets and he ended up making one of there feet worse >:( >:( >:( >:( by cutting into the flesh and would not stop bleeding for two days. Have managed to stop bleeding now but is still raw and clearly painful, I'm spraying it daily with that blue antiseptic spray from vet but not helping. Am feeling really sorry for her. :'( :'( :-[ :-[

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Help new to sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:18:28 pm »
Jeez. . . . that's a bad vet.

Trimming feet is a debatable thing. Drawing blood is defiantly not good. But if you have spotted it quick, to be fair, i'd not trim and just spray, and give a jab of alamycin if needed and leave. It should clear up in five days.

Trimming (as you've seen) often prolongs it.

With regard to pre tupping stuff, just the usual care really. Can give crysalix block or something if you think needed.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:59 pm »
They have had that all through summer but have now taken it away as trying to lose condition so that I can flush them as they are a score 3 or 4 at the moment.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 02:16:04 pm »
Tend not to flush ewe lambs as they are still putting a lot of nutrients in to growing also you don't really want triplets as out of hogs they can be very small at birth and thus less viable

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »
Wouldn't be flushing lambs either. One good one is fine, it's more important the ewe lambs reach their potential for growth than they have lots of lambs in year one

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:23:17 pm »
ok thanks it's just that someone told me to flush them and didn't really think twice about it untill now when I posted on fourm. :) :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »
How much would I need to feed them over winter if they are in lamb to a single and would you say november is ok for putting the tup in or should it be later?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:27 pm »
Nov  will be fine , you say they are jan born so they will be 10mts old so stronger then most who will be 7-8mths at tupping , don't know how big they are but would it not make management easier if you  put them all with the ram instead of having to separate with the chance that the ram or the lambs might jump the fence to get together , from your description they are all maybe  45kg+ so would be fine ??    For pregnant ewe lambs you have to keep them growing as well as keep the foetus growing so condition score regularly  try to not let them loose or put on condition during the first 2 mths grass and good hay should do this ,maybe crystalix if both in short supply  ,  maybe at the turn of the year  start on sort of 300gms day nuts/pencils/ mix if you want to keep on with crystalix then reduce by 100gms  , keep condition scoring ( just lay a hand on them while they are eating )   .  if you don't scan then assume they are all carrying twins so in the last six weeks before lambing increase nuts to 500gms day  split into 2 feeds .      Always trying to keep them fit but not fat ,

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »
Hi
  Ok thanks will try my best can I pput then on ewe pencils or do they need lamb pellets?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 10:07:24 am »
I'd go for 18% protein ewe nuts.  We never flush our ewes, just aim to keep them in reasoable shape all year.  Never know what the weather's going to do next and I'd prefer them to go into a long/cold/wet winter with more rather than less condition.  Still get twins from most sheep, with a sprinkling of singles from the first-timers and oldest ewes, which is all I'd want from them anyway.  Don't want more than twins - I like a quiet life!

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 11:19:41 am »
Ok thanks for all the info

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:52 am »
Have just weighed them they are all 60kg or above so this should be ok.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS