Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen with injured eye?  (Read 3974 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Hen with injured eye?
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:28:45 am »

One of my ex-batts has suddenly developed a poorly eye. No sign of respiratory problems, and no other hens affected. It looks like the eyelid is completely closed, not just the third eyelid. I showed her to my smallholder neighbour who is much more experienced with chickens than me, and she suspects injury (a peck or stab with a blade of grass?) rather than infection/other problem. I'm concerned in case she is in pain or may be bullied, but she is eating and drinking normally and seems otherwise unconcerned. Any ideas gratefully received - I've bathed with saline solution, but didn't want to poke about too much.
Thanks all

Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Hen with injured eye?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:35:44 am »
Make her a cuppa (tea of course!). Leave to cool. Bathe eye with the tea bag. Works like magic for minor injuries/infections.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:18:54 am »
Thanks Jukes Mum - I tried the teabag bathing yesterday as the eye had started to look a bit crusty. This morning though, the other eye is swelling and starting to close so I'm now suspecting infection or disease rather than injury. Has anyone any ideas what this might be? I'm thinking I should separate her - the other 4 chooks all look fine. Thank you.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:37:06 pm »
Just to say Henrietta is much better today - both eyes open, though a bit swollen. I suspect some sort of respiratiry problem - I put a bit of Olbas oil in their water so perhaps that's helped. Anyway she came running up for a few scraps of cheese today, much more her usual self.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:55:36 pm »
Pleased to hear the good news. :)

Hope she continues to improve. :fc:

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:56:17 pm »
Bit of a cold or something maybe. A few of ours have had that sometimes. Most have pulled through OK but the odd one has got worse until we had to do something about it. We thought we had Myco at one point but haven't seen any symptoms for a good while. I suspect a lot of flocks out there have Myco without the keeper knowing much about it.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »
I had a goose with a sore eye and on advice from here I got some chloramphenicol eye ointment for him from the chemist (had to say it was for my OH!). It worked a treat though the goose still hasn't forgiven me for poking stuff in his eye a few times a day!

Waddy

ella01

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 11:34:48 pm »
Or you might try homeopathic Euphrasia eye drops. Euphrasia( eyebright) has been used for  centuries for eye ailments. Homeopathy works well for animals .
We had a bantam cockerel whose eye was damaged by another cockerel and it healed by itself though the sight  in the injured eye was lost. He managed fine with one eye but, as has been said, best to isolate your hen in case it is something infectious.
Hope it is getting better anyway.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 07:07:42 pm »
Mycoplasma?

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 11:09:29 am »
Thanks for your replies all. I am wondering about Myco. The hen in question has recovered and looks well, as if she's just had a cold. Unfortunately, one of the others dropped dead suddenly on Saturday - she was fine, running about and eating well in the morning, by the evening she was fluffed, barely able to stand or keep her eyes open and despite best efforts (drenched chicken vits, honey and yogurt) she died shortly afterwards. The others all look fine, but I am wondering whether or not to go ahead with rehoming some more ex-batts in case there is Myco and they get infected. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS