Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re: Stray young Gosling- when can it live outside?  (Read 1752 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Stray young Gosling- when can it live outside?
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »
Hi

As a follow on from my previous post (stray young gosling- advice please) I need some more advice. Im pleased to say the gosling seems to be doing well. Enjoying its food especially greens and meal worms. I have introduced it to my pair of adult geese and my female goose has taken well to it. She seems quite protective of it. It has now started to get a few feathers and growing up quite quickly. When can it be left outside? My two other geese have the run of the garden and the use of a laege deep pond. I left it with them today for a few hours and it went swimming withthe two adults ( although it was swimming round in circles) is this normal? can it be left out over night yet? The two adults sleep on the pond atnight Although I am worrried as we have alot of foxes about, if they would protect the gosling overnight? Any advice welcomed. 

Thank u

Emily

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:02:18 am »
Goslings can be let outside after 2 weeks, although if the weather is bad you might want to wait for a few days. I always make sure that mine have shelter until all their feathers come through, although they often don't use it. I also shut them up at night until they are fully feathered. HTH  :)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:55:25 pm »
I'd wait until it's fully feathered if it's likely to spending the night on the pond - you could put it out by day and bring in at night until then. Otherwise it could get chilled. I've also heard of a surprising number of goslings drowning so I'd keep a close eye on it for a while too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS