Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has tent, will travel  (Read 5048 times)

themadsaxon

• Joined Jul 2013
Has tent, will travel
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:08:44 am »
Morning all,
                 After my last post received such helpful advice and convinced me that it would be better to get some practical lessons rather than an NVQ in smallholding I've taken this to heart and am booked on a few courses.  I've also come to realise that all the courses in the world are no match for practical experience so I am here to offer my services, free of charge, to anyone who might need a hand over the course of a weekend.  I'll pretty much do anything as long as it gives me experience of work that might need doing on a smallholding, stuff I don't already know how to do (I can paint fences already thanks very much), I'll even provide my own food if you can't stretch to the monstrous mountains of beef I require to keep going  :yum: all I need is room to pitch a tent.
any offers considered
Many thanks
Pete 

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Has tent, will travel
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:06:20 am »
Have PM'd you.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:08 am »
Might be useful if you posted your current location so people know how local you are.

Perhaps not much point travelling to the Isle of Skye if you live on the Isle of Wight  ;)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »
Mmmm, that sounds like an offer! We are here and plenty of opportunity for weekend barter :-). Very happy with tent pitching and some grub for general help. In fact if booked you could stay in one of our caravans? How's your woodwork? :-)

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 05:24:10 am »
Well, it will take more than a weekend to visit me, but as I have posted before -any T.A.S'ers are more than welcome for a (working) holiday. Better wait until next year though when I slaughter my calf! And soon the major work is shoveling snow

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:56:47 am »
(I can paint fences already thanks very much)

Damn!   :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:14:00 pm »
Hi there, we're probably too far away from you seeing as we're in Keith, NE Scotland but any help more than welcome - we've got loads to do centred around drainage ditches, fencing, and repairs to outbuildings etc.
Regards
Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:47:15 pm »
That's a great plan :)

I agree it would help to have an idea of where you are travelling from ;)

Is it weekends only because you have a day job?  If not, you may get a *lot* more offers if you can do a week at a time - with a lot of jobs, someone who is only there for a day or two is a drain rather than a help. If you can get someone for a week, then by day 3 or 4 they are starting to make a real contribution to repay the effort in getting to know them and teaching them the job ;)

We are very happy to have helpers at lambing time, shearing time and hay-time - but for lambing time especially, one or two days is no use and we can't spare the time to show people the ropes.  If they can come for several days a few times, or for a week or two, then we can invest the effort up front because they are really helping  later on :)

Of course, some people may be happy to give you a day's training in something new in exchange for a day doing something you already know - like painting fences ;).

When I was WWOOFing, I mucked out a *lot* of winter pens on a *lot* of farms, and I did a *lot* of weeding in a *lot* of different places.  There isn't anywhere I WWOOFed that I didn't learn something new, though ;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:49:56 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:58:14 am »
That's a great plan :)

I agree it would help to have an idea of where you are travelling from ;)

Is it weekends only because you have a day job?  If not, you may get a *lot* more offers if you can do a week at a time - with a lot of jobs, someone who is only there for a day or two is a drain rather than a help. If you can get someone for a week, then by day 3 or 4 they are starting to make a real contribution to repay the effort in getting to know them and teaching them the job ;)

We are very happy to have helpers at lambing time, shearing time and hay-time - but for lambing time especially, one or two days is no use and we can't spare the time to show people the ropes.  If they can come for several days a few times, or for a week or two, then we can invest the effort up front because they are really helping  later on :)

Of course, some people may be happy to give you a day's training in something new in exchange for a day doing something you already know - like painting fences ;) .

When I was WWOOFing, I mucked out a *lot* of winter pens on a *lot* of farms, and I did a *lot* of weeding in a *lot* of different places.  There isn't anywhere I WWOOFed that I didn't learn something new, though ;)

Wise words.  You can ask a lot of questions whilst doing something tedious like fence painting as long as the host is there with you :-) .... A days q and a and chattng could help a lot
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:00:45 am by FiB »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS