Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farm management  (Read 2547 times)

clowe123

• Joined Aug 2014
Farm management
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »
I was wondering if there are any farm managers on here that would be willing and able to teach me how to manage a farm and everything that i would need to be able to run my own farm that i am hoping to have one day?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Farm management
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 03:15:31 pm »
That is a big and rather vague ask.
A few questions....
Where are you?
What farm experience do you have?
Have you considered college courses?
What sort of farm are you expecting to have? 
What exactly are you expecting to be taught .... practical tasks, management paperwork, etc????
What are you offering... payment, volunteering?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

clowe123

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »
Im in gloucestershire
I have looked after calves feeding and bedding from birth to around 16 week old for 12 odd years, then 4 years ago i started working full time as a general farm worker on a dairy herd (140 milking, 80 odd under 12 months, 20-40 in calve heifers and up to 50 beef cattle).
I looked at college courses and the only one that was right was a three year full time course costing 7500 a year. Couldnt seem to find any others that were right.
I would like a mixed farm doing goats, sheep and beef cattle.
I would like to learn more about grassland management and crop rotation and paperwork.
If anyone knows any decent websites where i could learn it that would be ideal, but if not then a course thats good.
Preferably though i would like to learn from someone whilst working which would only be possible on my days off and if they were local as i cant drive.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:45:50 pm »
I would have thought you could have learned a lot of what you need where you are working now... certainly the grassland management bit, and I'm sure some of the paperwork too.

Have you considered a foundation degree ... you could have a student loan ... and I think you would be the first small farmer ever to earn above the pay back level!

Not driving will be a severe problem ... so if you can I would make a driving licence a priority.

If you fancy a busman's working holiday in Wales with an ex agric lecturer then pm me sometime.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS