Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump on udder  (Read 2957 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Lump on udder
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »
Hi there,

Just noticed my ewe has a lump on her udder. It looks like she has bagged up again on one side but it is a bit uneven. It is soft and floppy, not hard.

She was the ewe that weaned off her lambs too early so maybe this was the problem at the start, although she had dried up and looked normal when we sheared her a couple of weeks back.

If it is Mastitis or a blocked milk gland, should I get some antibiotics into her or should I just try to get it washed and cleaned and keep an eye on it?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lump on udder
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »
If it's not hot, and not hard, and not painful, I think I wouldn't worry.  Keep an eye, and if it changes, investigate further.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:48:45 am »
Thanks - Keeping an eye on it - still soft and cool so fingers crossed it will go away on its own.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:13:08 am »
Thanks - Keeping an eye on it - still soft and cool so fingers crossed it will go away on its own.

Take her off any additional feed like concentrates, and if possible put her on poorer grass to help her drying up.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:31 am »
will do thanks x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS