Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas wreaths  (Read 15672 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Christmas wreaths
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 02:24:21 pm »
I get days like that too ...in fact I get decades like that .....5 so far ... ::) ;D  Just shout if you need help ... I won't hear you, but it may help !!!

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 06:37:45 pm »
That must have been some size of parrot you had in there, Russ. And how could a wee face like that misbehave!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 07:47:02 pm »
It was my nephews ols parrot cage . He had a little Galah cockatoo which decided it didn't like anyone in the family so was sold ...lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galah
 But yes ...little Leanne is absolutely gorgeous , she is so lovely as is her little brother Jamie...

who also went in the cage for bad behaviour....lol..It seems like only yesterday I was chucking their dad in the air , reading him stories such as The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and singing him songs at bedtime..he's nearly 25 now. He was lovely too ...well he still is (and still comes for a cuddle from his uncle when things go wrong !!  )

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »
Aha, our Rustyme has a soft side. ;)  Real cute little lad is Jamie ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 05:45:39 pm »
Ok, so Rustyme is the child catcher!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 08:26:23 pm »
Just to tell you all, I've made my first wreath this year!
My friend is moving to her new house next weekend (after a very long wait) and I wanted to do something nice as a cottage-warming gift.

I used rolled up chicken wire (couldn't find a wire coat hanger) into a heart shape, and conifer, pine. holly, and ivy
(just dont try making yours sat on the floor with a mad german shepherd in the room! She's eaten the sticks, stolen the string, sat on the scissors, you name it.)

"the unbroken circle of the wreath represents the Pagan ‘Wheel of the Year’ or ‘Circle of Life’ that marks the changes of the seasons at the solstices and equinoxes.
An ancient belief concerning the pagan festival of Yule (21st Dec) is that the wheel of the year stops briefly on the day of the festival and it was considered taboo to turn a wheel or even a butter churn on this, the shortest day.
Yule is a time of peace which offers an opportunity to reflect on the year gone by from a point of stillness and , equally calmly, a chance to look forward to increasingly active months ahead.
The holly and ivy work in magical harmony to provide protection to any household with a Christmas wreath on the door.
Lutherian Christians adopted this pagan tradition by placing the wreath horizontally and decorating it with four candles to be lit as advent progressed.
The evergreen foliage represented the everlasting hope and life celebrated with the coming of Christ at Christmas."
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:11 pm »
My dad professionally made wreath's for years. All I remember of Christmas for years as a child was the bits and pieces for making them. I would recommend these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PACK-2-WIRE-WREATH-RING-FRAME-FLORIST-CHRISTMAS-CRAFT_W0QQitemZ190352823013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_FloralSupplies_SM?hash=item2c51e992e5 Which is what he always used. Rather than use Oasis (expensive) we used moss. I also remember some bloody cold days in November/ early December gathering moss! Used to go a place near Ladybank often. Anyway, pack the moss really tightly together between the two circles, use florist binding wire to wrap around it to hold it together. Use the short bits of florist wire again, to create a stem on the greenery, and then use the wire to push through the moss, then wrap back in so you're leaving no sharp bits of wire pointing out. Use whatever you think looks good, Dad used to use florist ribbon on them as well, and would make different ones with varigated holly, leylandii greenery, plain dark green holly, or holly with berries on.

Easy!

Beth

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 06:19:51 pm »
I found the easiest way to make a wreath was to get a piece of that grey pipe insulation and coil it into a circle. Tape the ends together and you can then just push sprigs of holly etc into it !

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:23 pm »
Here's mine that I made yesterday. The base is a metal ring from an old lampshade,
wrapped with ivy and fatsia berries wired on. Simple  ;D
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

sandy

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 07:30:24 pm »
Now that is stunning, love that door as well, loks like an Old Church!!! I have an old Front door so dare not pin anything onto it so I do not have a wreath, although I did make one that hangs from the ceiling, it is an old light fitting that I covered in garlands etc...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:44 pm »
Sorry, I just don't like them.  It's like somebody died there

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS