Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: infomation please on roosters  (Read 4474 times)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
infomation please on roosters
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:15:16 pm »
iv had a few roosters in the past but as of late one has been crowing a lot and I need to find a way to shut him up dose anyone have any idea or I will have to dispatch him not something I want to do but may be necessary if I cant shut him up I live in a town so my neigbours are complaining that he crows at 10 am while they are trying to sleep they are idiots but the council are sending me letters now that my animals are making too much noise at too early in the morning makes me laugh but even though im surrounded by morons who have no intention of getting a job and sit around all day drinking and smoking and saying why should I work I make more off of job seekers bla bla bla lazy idiots  so rant over what can I do to shut my rooster up

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: infomation please on roosters
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:49:03 pm »
10am?

I would suggest keeping him somewhere very dark overnight or when you want him quiet and this is more problematic in the summer obviously. roosters (contrary to popular belief) can also crow laying down so the small boxes people advocate rarely work. Although dark will help if he hears noises (other birds for example) then he will crow. Some roosters crow more than others, they will crow more if in earshot of other roosters and some crow less as they get older. Keeping him overnight in a well ventilated box, in a well soundproofed shed might help.

However, if you do live in an area where you will be expected to keep him quite past 10am (although I don't think this complies with noise nuisance laws?), you need to ask yourself if its the right environment for the bird in the first place. Are you a council tenant yourself?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:54:42 pm »
wev had complaining neighbours in the past, who worked nightshifts so didnt like daytime crowing. we tried to ensure the coop was closed properly at night as he was free range and also crowing from 2am. the neighbours moved so solved but problem but living with a cockeral with lots of close neighbours is asking for trouble. the council will take action if asked to so be prepared.

ref dispatching, they have been loads of threads on this so try doing a search.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:32 pm »
TBH it doesn't sound like an ideal place to keep a cockerel if you have council tenants all around and close neighbours. Our cockerel crows at intervals throughout the day.

Hens will lay just as well without a cockerel if it's eggs you are after (although I agree - a cockerel does hold the flock together and stops bitchy squabbling)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:54:32 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:41:38 am »
I physically put my cockerel in a portable cat box for a few nights and he quickly got the idea that was where he was going to sleep.
Then, just pick him up and put him in the kitchen overnight with a blanket over the top to deaden the noise.

NO more complaints. No cockerel killing.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:35 am »
I live in a private rent home as dose my pain in the ass neigbours I have a large plot of land next to my house which is where my chickens live I only keep a single male for the purpose of keeping the girls in check or one of the girls has fits of what I can only call crowing and for the uses of breeding my barnevelder hens im still wondering what to do iv heard of people having something done to a rooster to stop them crowing dose anyone have anyidea on this?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »
iv heard of people having something done to a rooster to stop them crowing dose anyone have anyidea on this?

do you mean like de-barking a dog? Because thats a) cruel and b) illegal in the UK and it doesnt stop the dogs need to bark and I am not sure you could stop a roosters need to crow. It is what they are. Due to the position of their 'larynx' it would be major surgery and I'm not sure you would find a vet to do it. De-barked dogs still bark, it just sounds wretched and painful.

Check out the noise nuissance laws for where you are. If you have to keep him quiet between (for example) 7pm and 7am, then try the pet carrier idea-it will be less of an issue in the winter.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:12:55 pm »
My sister kept a cockerel in a suburban area ..... she didn't want one but her was sexed incorrectly by the breeders  and she was attached to him so kept him. She just ensured that his coop was as dark as possible and didn't let him out until 9am. Some are naturally noisier than others though so may not work for all. Also her neighbours liked hearing the odd crow in the daytime and it seems like even that is a problem for your neighbours. If they are going to kick up a fuss about the occasional daytime crow then I think it will be quite difficult to do anything about it.

You can't have anything done surgically  ..... I've read that it is cruel and not legal. Can't remember where I read it.

I think Chrismahon on here keeps a pet cockerel in the house and my sister had a hen that lived part time in the house. If your neighbours would ignore the daytime crowing you could do as suggested and keep him indoors until what was agreed as 'sociable' hours by your neighbours and yourselves.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 08:43:12 am »
You can implant chickens- or give a testosterone suppressing jab, it might work. But with no boss around a lead hen may take up the roll and start crowing!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:53:34 am »
Yes, as In The Hills says, we have had a pet cockerel in the house for 4 years in the UK. Had two noise nuisance notifications, neither of which amounted to anything. Once the recording equipment went in and the levels of noise were established the Council must have deemed it not to be a nuisance by their definitions. I say 'must have' because neither time have Staffordshire CC had the good manners to advise me of the situation, despite letters sent to them.

The first complaint was about our pet Bottom (Buff Orpington utility strain). The Council installed the equipment in their lounge and afterwards the complainants sneakily moved it into the hall to get a higher noise reading and then moved it back into the lounge before the Council collected it! The second was because we had a sick Wyandotte cock in the lounge. By the time they had been through all the procedures though Big Softy Arnold was better and back outside. So it wouldn't have mattered if they were going to proceed with Court action.

Good luck Demonfarmer.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
depends how much you need a cockerel versus how much hassle you want in your life I guess. I certainly cant equate my rural idyll with running disputes with neighbours- rather defeats the object for me and as the "animal people" round here I feel it is my responsibility to be respectful and accommodating and not be a nuisance. We had a cockerel for a while, much against my better judgement- our hens don't free range so don't really need a guardian and he just rode them all blooming day until they had threadbare backs. once he started crowing at 4am his days were numbered. neighbours never complained once but I certainly did.
completely by coincidence we had the flock out chooking about in the veg patch the day before we were planning to see him off and the fox in broad daylight did it for us. I love that fox

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS