Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore horn - help please!  (Read 1996 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Sore horn - help please!
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:48 pm »
One of my Jacobs (ewes) appears to have a sore base of horn. I think she is rubbing the base raw because it is sore or infected but I can't see anything wrong with it. The horn itself feels hot and she keeps scratching at it but I can't for the life of me see what's wrong.

Anybody got any ideas? This has been going on for a week or so now, I originally saw some fresh blood round it first, so is it possible she's got it stuck in the fence or banged it and caused an internal problem?

Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Sore horn - help please!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:21:20 pm »
You could try washing with hibiscrub and spraying with antibiotic spray. Is there definitely no sign of fly strike? Not sure if heat means anything as blood supply may make them feel hot.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:41:35 pm »
I was convinced there must be maggots in it before I got a closer look so I treated it as such but I couldn't actually find any maggots or soft spots anywhere round the base of the horn. If it gets worse will have to get the vet out I think.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:28 pm »
 :wave: sounds more like flys they just keep at it keeping it irritated .ewe keeps rubbing , used to get it on soays a bit . stockholm tar worked well but is messy .  get it on tups heads sometimes to . if in doubt get a second opinion, local farmer /other small holder etc

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:52:59 am »
We use Spot On on our Jacobs ram - it always seems to happen each year as the horn starts growing and flies bother him.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS