Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags.  (Read 6607 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Ear tags.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 11:55:50 am »
I would agree about not tagging just now, saw one in a field last week with terrible fly strike due to a bleeding tag. I will only be tagging anything that is going to the abbatoir
Anne

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 12:01:52 pm »
Get someone to show you where to insert the tag.  If you hit a piece of cartilage the pin won't penetrate and it'll be very painful for the lamb.  Pliers should stay in the toolkit.

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 01:40:18 pm »
I would agree about not tagging just now, saw one in a field last week with terrible fly strike due to a bleeding tag. I will only be tagging anything that is going to the abbatoir

+1

I won't tag lambs until they are leaving the holding, too many rip them out in fences etc
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:04 pm »
We don't tag our boys til they go to the mart x

Cazzie

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »
Hi
Fearing do a very good tag called a 'click tag', it has a thin sharp pin which is less painful for the sheep.
http://www.fearing.co.uk/tags/sheep-tags/breeding/kliktag-eid-yellow-visual
However, it is a loop, and I always cut the loop in the middle with secateurs after inserting into the ear to make it  into a double tag style.  For a new customer the applicator is free and I think the minimum order is only 10, so if you don't like them for some reason, you haven't paid out too much money.
Hope this helps...
Herefordshire Ouessants
www.ouessantsheep.co.uk
U.K. Registered flock

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Only suggested pliers as I had no idea as to the value of taggers and have seen pliers substituted with a surprising level of success! Plus I've been paid since I posted this, after shearing and land rover issues I was skint!
I've tagged about 60 lambs on a friends farm this year and know about the 1/3 idea (1/3 up from the cartilage and 1/3 in from the front to allow growing space, tiny lambs mind so tags were quite large).
So all the Lambs can have the same tags? Will do them in age order as I can't do things randomly!

One more question, are the tags age related? Can my lambies be dated from them?

Had a Ewe lamb with fly stike yesterday, bless her as she stood nearly complely still while I treated her!

Thanks again
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 07:57:02 pm »
With the ewes we have a different coloured tags each year. So yellow n orange, yellow n lilac, etc etc so we know they're age visually

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS