Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: age to eat chickens  (Read 5043 times)

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
age to eat chickens
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:41 am »
I have hatched 4 Light Sussex chicks. We intend to eat them. Can anyone tell me at what age I should be looking to kill them?

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: age to eat chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:51:02 am »
Hi,
  Cockerels should weigh 2-3lbs at 8-12 weeks. Table birds should weigh between 3-4lbs at 12-14 weeks,but you can feed them up for longer,keeping them semi-confined ie not running all over the place will help,and you can go til 6-9 months. After that,I have found,they get a bit stringy.
 Someone with more experience will come along soon and post killing out weights etc etc........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:41:59 pm »
We've just killed our first two Hubbards (meat strain) at 12 weeks. One was 5.5lb cleaned weight and the other 6lb. We should have weighed them before we killed them to get a KO% but we didn't. I think the KO% for chickens is about 72% (there's a thread about this somewhere).

We'd recommend killing them first thing in the morning sothe crop and gut are pretty empty, bleeding and plucking, then hanging for 24 hours before cleaning. That's the best way we've found SO FAR.

The meat from the Hubbards was lovely.

We've three more to despatch, so will add more experiences to the site in due course.

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 04:30:22 pm »
Thanks for that - very helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS