Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spiced Moroccan Lamb  (Read 7207 times)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Spiced Moroccan Lamb
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:22:02 pm »
As promised........ Spiced Moroccan Lamb/Pork/Beef/Chicken

Ingredients

1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground black pepper
1½ tbsp paprika
1½ tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 x shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about
1.1kg/2½lb meat in total)
2 large onions, grated
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp argan oil (see note)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
570ml/1 pint of tomato juice
2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half
55g/2oz dates, cut in half
55g/2oz sultanas or raisins
85g/3oz flaked almonds
1 tsp saffron stamens, soaked in cold water
600ml/1 pint lamb stock
1 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2.
2. Place the cayenne, black pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon into a small bowl and mix to combine. Place the lamb in a large bowl and toss together with half of the spice mix. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of argan oil in a large casserole dish. Add the grated onion and the remaining spice mix and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes so that the onions are soft but not coloured. Add the crushed garlic for the final 3 minutes.
4. In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining oil and brown the cubes of lamb on all sides then add the browned meat to the casserole dish. De-glaze the frying pan with ¼ pint of tomato juice and add these juices to the pan.
5. Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins or sultanas, flaked almonds, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole dish. Bring to the boil, cover with a fitted lid, place in the oven and cook for 2-2½ hours or until the meat is meltingly tender.
6. Place the lamb in a tagine or large serving dish and sprinkle over the chopped herbs. Serve.

(Argan oil is a Moroccan oil from the argan tree, I found it in Sainsbury's, but it was around 8 quid.)

This is Carly's recipe,who has a chili fetish,something we don't have in common. The first time was far too hot for me to enjoy,but the second time was absolutely fantastic.As good as any I've eaten in Morocco,Tunisia,Lebanon or the Middle East. So try it,enjoy it,and let us know what ya think!

They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Spiced Moroccan Lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:08:15 pm »
I'm starving - not a good time to read recipes! Will try this at the weekend.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 06:20:41 pm »
I got in from work tonight and my OH has made some chilli... sitting eating it reading this :)

This looks a lovely recipe, I'm going to save it and give it a try next weekend when we have our friends round.

Thank Carly for the recip :)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:59:10 pm »
Well don't blame me if you don't get your taste buds back til Wednesday!  ;D  Will thank Carly........ she's on here now as Carlysky1. (allo gawjus)
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 07:31:26 pm »
Is there something that can be substituted for  argan oil that can be purchased in France?

It does look a delicious recipe and would love to give it a go.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:40:01 pm »
I am not sure at all on this , but ? argan oil is meant to have a nutty taste to it so I would think that hemp oil could be used instead. Hemp oil has a nice nutty taste as well so should do the job ok !!! Just don't get it too hot , ie deep frying with it .

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:47:58 pm »
Thanks Russ - I can always count on you!

Kate  :bfly:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS