Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: clay pot?  (Read 9289 times)

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
clay pot?
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:17:38 pm »
does anyone use a clay pot to roast chicken in? i was scanning through the ikea website and came accross this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80087711

i also came accross something similar in habitat while in london the other week.

does it actually do anything or is it a complete waste of money  ??? ??? i was tempted while in habitat but diddnt fancy lugging it around all day on the tube!  ;D

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
Re: clay pot?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:49:23 pm »
I watched an episode of river cottage and beyond the other day, think it was sunday, and Hugh was cooking chickens in clay pots, the results looked great..  He had commissioned someone local to make them for him tho..

The contents once cooked looked yummy I have to say, so might be worthwhile giving it a try :)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:10:19 pm »
I used to use clay pots and the like when I lived in Spain for a bit. As long as the base dish is glazed inside,it's ok. Saw the ones in Ikea back in Feb and nearly bought one myself. Roast chicken comes out with the crispiest skin,likewise with pork crackling!!  There's just something organic about cooking with them,and when you put the dish in the middle of the table,steaming and looking all gawjus inside,well........   gawd,I'm hungry now!!!! Go for it,buy one and if you don't like it after a few trials,let me know and I'll buy it from you.  ;D
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:17:30 pm »
mmmm crackling and crispy skin yum! think ill have to put one down on my list for my trip to ikea next month! everything always seems really cheap but i always spend a fortune!!

they also do this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60087707

anyone used one before? if so what can you cook in it? im assuming anything you would normally boil??!

;D

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:29:32 pm »
Ah,that's a Moroccan speciality. It's for cooking couscous,comes out all light and fluffy.I've got a recipe for Moroccan Spiced Lamb somewhere,will dig it out and post later on. Not really cooked anything else in it really,but will probably be ok for slow cooking stews/caseroles etc. Although if you're going to buy the clay pot,then that's probably better for caseroles. Good luck and bon apetite....... Ree (who loves food so much I should be 20 stone)
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:23:49 pm »
think ill give the second one a miss as we already have a slow cooker and hardly any cupbord space left! plus im the only person in the house that likes couscous!

Im starving now after all this talk of food! 5 more hours until dinner!! think i might have to buy an overpriced soggy sani from the train station on the way home!

Cant wait to try my first chicken out of the clay pot tho!  :chook:

;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS