Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it time to lose British Summer Time?  (Read 8630 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Is it time to lose British Summer Time?
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:41:39 pm »
Having gone through the rigmarole of changing all the clocks (that I can think off but not the one on my phone 'cos I don't know how to), I wondered is it time to give this up and just stick to GMT all the time?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Is it time to lose British Summer Time?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:44:03 pm »
No one has informed Charlie my cockerel that the clock has changed, 5.15 this morning he started.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:46:58 pm »
Oh please lets not alter the clocks. I hate dark nights!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:19:04 pm »
I'm the same with the baby - no one's told him about the time change !
I don't much like the dark nights either, but I like dark mornings even less  :(
I know it's a pain, but I kinda like the eccentricity this country has surrounding it  ;)
I believe it was started to benefit farmers (but could be wrong) and I know there's an argument for the safety aspect with kids walking to and from school in the dark too.
Plus it's a great excuse for turning up late to work  ;D ;)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:00:13 pm »
same here with the baby but i also have medication to give to little T as certain times , which does get effect if he doesn't get it at the right time to we have to find a happy medium on the clock change times

Linz

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:49 pm »
I read somewhere that someone is lobbying to get England, Ireland and Wales to not do it, but for Scotland to continue.  How confusing would that be if you live on the border!!!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:56:57 pm »
An even better excuse for being late for work.
kirsty

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:03:47 pm »
But didn't you know that we change the clocks so farmers get more light in the mornings? Because it's not like farmers are intelligent enough to just work to whatever time of day the sun rises or anything, we MUST help those farmer people to farm at the right time of day!

In case that was too subtle.. I find changing the clocks pathetic and patronising.

sandy

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 11:07:40 pm »
Yes, why do we have to still change the clocks???? although I did enjoy my extra sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 11:54:07 pm »
I didn't get any more sleep as my son was here and we stayed up an hour longer than I normally would have! ::)  My phone and car changed automatically, Rosemary - check your settings.  You may need to set it on auto for BST.
I'm fed up of them changing to regardless of the UK being eccentric, and as for making us different from E & W just look what has happened with the tail docking.  An absolute mess!
You can't dock at all in Scotland, but any dog may be shown at any show in Scotland whether docked or not.  You can dock in England and Wales if you have a gun licence or work on a shoot, but a docked dog can only be shown at shows where the public don't pay to get in.  Docked dogs can't be shown at Crufts.  I have been told of day old puppies being trailed all the way down Scotland to be docked in England even though it is illegal to do so.  Ireland has yet to decide I believe!  An absolute pigs ear!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:56:14 am »
You can't dock at all in Scotland, but any dog may be shown at any show in Scotland whether docked or not.  You can dock in England and Wales if you have a gun licence or work on a shoot, but a docked dog can only be shown at shows where the public don't pay to get in.  Docked dogs can't be shown at Crufts.  I have been told of day old puppies being trailed all the way down Scotland to be docked in England even though it is illegal to do so.  Ireland has yet to decide I believe!  An absolute pigs ear!

I am new to this docking thing as we have only had our dog 6 months but I have to say I do worry about my spaniels tail.  She gets long walks in the woods,  where she tears about and she is constantly returning with it covered in blood when she has whacked it off something or another.  I am sure one of these days she is going to break it.  So is it cruel having it docked or is it actually crueler to leave it on?  Now I see the evidence I think I am beginning to change my mind.

:dog:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 01:19:11 pm »
Gill, if your vet thinks it is necessary for the dog's well being he can amputate the tail.  Friends of mine have had that done and Molly is so much happier - and cleaner!  Ask his advice.

The reason for docking is more obvious in spaniels as their demeanour is to constantly wag the tail at a very high rate.  Other breeds don't seem to wag so fast and furiously - cockers are the worst I believe.  So working dogs really suffer the consequences of this law.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 01:47:46 pm »
our clocks went back here in Bulgaria aswell, & Tail docking shouldnt be illegal it is needed for some breeds, I had to have a great danes tail amputated at 2 years old because he reguarly damaged it wagging he suffered a lot of infections & it was a big & expensive operation at  years old it would have saved him a lot of pain if it had been done when he was a pup, I also recently had a GSDs amputated because he was attacked by a staffy while on a lead & wearing a muzzle his tail was so badly damaged we thought he would be paralised if he survived he was taken to the vets 1 hour after it happened & the infection had already set in & was spreading to his spine, & the owner of the staffy which just ran out of its garden & locked on to my dogs tail complained to that we hurt her dog our vets bill for that was 900pounds ,but I dont think GSDs should be docked just working dogs or breeds with whippy tails who reguarly suffer tail damage,

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:01 pm »
What we all think about docking is now irrelevant.  The ban is in place.  We can do nothing about it.

I had always docked my gundog pups prior to 2006.  Now docking is completely banned in Scotland and partially banned in England and Wales.  It is a total mess, and extremely confusing, with some people blatantly flaunting the law.  For instance it is illegal to take a pup across the border into England to have it docked, but I know it is done.  If we are one country we should have the same rules.  Ban all docking or ban none!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »
It'll be better once we get the border posts up....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS