Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting noticed  (Read 5300 times)

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
Getting noticed
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:57:55 pm »
We are registered pig breeders and have been for many years, in our old area we were noticed, we had our buyers and we were in the long run appreciated, however, in our new place we find we are having to start all over again and of course everything has changed since we last went all out on marketing.
For some obscure reason, I cannot get my advertising right, and since we relocated last year, we have sold only one dozen pigs, and even these were to outwith our area.

At first we blamed it on the recession and the current financial climate, but even though we have dropped our prices considerably there appears to be no interest.

Our pig numbers have trebled in this last year and where before we could sell our surplus to local butchers / abbatoirs, etc just nothing is moving right now,
What am I doing wrong?
Everyone we have spoken to have indicated they have their own suppliers, where then does / or can the small herd pig breeder go from there?

Does anyone else on the forum have the same problem? or are we just unique?

Pigtails

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Getting noticed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:03:59 pm »
I dare say that, like all businesses, it will take a while to get known for price and quality. I do hope things pick up for you soon.
Have you tried 'phoning restaurants, hotels etc.? The current "Buy Local" trend may help. I only have three porkers but a well known local restaurant will buy all I can spare because of the way they are reared and their intended end.
They will advertise the fact that the pork is free-range on un-treated pasture and that when the time comes they will be led to the end with a trail of Jaffa Cakes and thus will feel the minimum of stress which will lead to a better quality of meat.
Good luck and best wishes, Sylvia.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:47:03 pm »
Is there a lot of local competition?

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:19:06 pm »
I think it is the recession to be honest, and nothing that you are "doing wrong".

A local abbatoir last year, for instance, was killing 200-300 pigs per week,
in corresponding months this year, they are down to 40-60 pigs per week.

They mainly buy in off local farmers, some commercial, but most just raising say
30 pigs per year.

In the local Farmers Markets, where we have built up customers and educated people on the benefits of pedigree and free range pork for the last two years, are doing one third of the business we were doing last year.

So much so, that we have stopped doing our nearest towns Farmers Market, and started promoting our own farm shop, to reduce costs. 
Several other producers in the same farmers market, have gone bust, or pulled out for the same reasons - lack of customers.

We are still doing well, and are keeping our loyal customers, but the feeling is that most people who were going to the farmers markets for good quality food, are now tightening their belts and unfortunately, purchasing everything at the supermarket to save money and pay their debts and mortgages.

I hope this information helps you to realise that its just the state of play at the moment, how long it will last though, is anyones guess. 

We are offered pigs every week because small breeders just cannot afford to feed them anymore, it is sad.
We just cannot keep buying in more, just because they are pedigree or a rarer bloodline. 
We have taken in several Tamworth Sows recently, but then we end up selling on some Gloucestershire Old Spots that aren't as rare, to help us keep the rarer ones we have purchased.

You look to be in a remote situation, and it may not help, but we found that selling the meat direct, rather than selling pigs as weaners or to the factory, is the most cost effective way of keeping pigs, but we have had a large investment to be compliant with Health and Safety etc. and therefore we have to charge a fair price for the meat too, and not unervalue the product as some smaller pig keepers might do, to fund raising two fattners, for instance.

Hope this info helps you, and that you continue breeding pigs  ;)
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:26 pm »
Where did you move from Pigtails?
kirsty

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:04:00 am »
Is there a lot of local competition?

I dare say there is, I was lucky to get in quick and once my pigs are gone I dare say they will look elsewhere!

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:56:12 am »
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of those who replied to this post,
I have taken in much of what you are saying and I very much appreciate it.

In reply, we have no immediate rivalry, the nearest being fifty miles away.
We relocated from Argyllshire to the North Coast some eighteen months ago.
Many of our customers do not wish to travel this far north for their pigs, others have started
their own herds.
Much of our produce was sold through our guesthouse, we do not however, have that sort of facility here (yet).

Of the dozen or so that have been sold, all but three customers came from the Inverness area which is quite a considerable
way to travel.

We have tried selling pork direct, but there appears to be little interest among the locals who it would appear, would prefer
to buy supermarket pork, we cannot understand this.

Our herd is fast approaching 100 strong and are becoming expensive to keep but there again, what choice do we have,
QMS, won't take us on because we cannot find a retail interest willing to support us (in this area), Mey Selections, it would appear
and I quote " we do not do pork", Mey Selections have the monopoly in this area for produce and all the butchers buy on their recommendation.

Without Capital Investment, we fear we do not have a chance but raising the funds is impossible.

We'll just have to keep trying, I suppose.

Pigtails

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:16:20 am »
How difficult would it be for you to export to the islands above your place?

What is the population in your area?

Are any of them pedigree?  You could try selling some through the breeders clubs such as Gloucestershire Old Spots Breeders Club - oldspots.com
or other sites - it might mean that you have to travel to meet people further south, but if you could sell half the herd it would help you at the moment to cut down - it will be difficult to get through the winter months with 100 piggies.

I am in Ireland so cannot really help you with my contacts, but how about getting intouch with large restauranteers in the richer scottish locations, or some famous chefs, who may have their own butcher to process pigs for them, and take them from you live???

Its a case of thinking outside the box, to try and move some numbers quickly, but as I am not educated on the area you are in, my ideas are limited - but all the very best and if you want to you can P.M. me anytime for a chat

Julie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 04:18:26 pm »
Did you do market research before allowing your herd to increase to 100?  Presumably you don't just let the boars run with the sows?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 04:44:00 pm »
How difficult would it be for you to export to the islands above your place?

What is the population in your area?

Are any of them pedigree?  You could try selling some through the breeders clubs such as Gloucestershire Old Spots Breeders Club - oldspots.com
or other sites - it might mean that you have to travel to meet people further south, but if you could sell half the herd it would help you at the moment to cut down - it will be difficult to get through the winter months with 100 piggies.

I am in Ireland so cannot really help you with my contacts, but how about getting intouch with large restauranteers in the richer scottish locations, or some famous chefs, who may have their own butcher to process pigs for them, and take them from you live???

Its a case of thinking outside the box, to try and move some numbers quickly, but as I am not educated on the area you are in, my ideas are limited - but all the very best and if you want to you can P.M. me anytime for a chat

Julie

Thank you Julie, I'll be starting to think outside of my box this evening!
This is a great tip.
Pigtails

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »
Did you do market research before allowing your herd to increase to 100?  Presumably you don't just let the boars run with the sows?

Yes, I did, before we relocated and yes we do, our boars and sows all live together in one large family group, albeit in different sheds throughout the whole area.
An increase in our numbers was deliberate, however, we did not expect to have no sales at all.
Pigtails

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 04:57:34 pm »
Market research doesn't always work so I can understand how you feel.  My son did loads of research before opening a 'gargae' and 'house' record shop in Clydebank.  They were in the wrong place and the business folded after a year of a struggle.  However, it was a learning experience for him and worth the money I put into it.  I wish you the best of luck.

As a matter of interest, if your sows and boars run together how do you prevent them breeding at random?  If I did that with my dogs I'd be over run, i have to keep Allez well away from teh girls for teh full three weeks, randy beggar that he is! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 09:53:47 am »
Market research doesn't always work so I can understand how you feel.  My son did loads of research before opening a 'gargae' and 'house' record shop in Clydebank.  They were in the wrong place and the business folded after a year of a struggle.  However, it was a learning experience for him and worth the money I put into it.  I wish you the best of luck.

As a matter of interest, if your sows and boars run together how do you prevent them breeding at random?  If I did that with my dogs I'd be over run, i have to keep Allez well away from teh girls for teh full three weeks, randy beggar that he is! ;D ;D ;D

Strangely, our sows are particular and will only mate with "Henry" who is the chief of pork production on Brawl,
we used to breed dogs, we have a system when we don't want puppies, and that is when the girls are in season it is either boys out and girls in or girls out and boys in, it works well and each have their allotted cuddles and play equally.

Pigtails

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 10:09:51 am »
Henry's a lucky boy - keep him IN  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Only joking - but we have Oscar, a HUGE Gloucestershire Old Spot, who has
twice been naughty with our favourite Saddleback Sow, Joanna - good job we
have a butchery  ;D ;D ;D

He is now penned up with two Gloucestershire Girls - its like Fort Knox, he has a large house and outdoor area, and is the star attraction on Sundays when the farm shop is open as he jumps up on the wall to see the visitors.  :D ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 11:03:07 am »

we used to breed dogs, we have a system when we don't want puppies, and that is when the girls are in season it is either boys out and girls in or girls out and boys in, it works well and each have their allotted cuddles and play equally.

[/quote]

Yes, I do the same.  At the moment I only have one stud dog but since one of my bitches is 8 and is his Aunt it is essential to keep him away from them .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS