Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping feed outside  (Read 6430 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
keeping feed outside
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:54:44 pm »
i currently keep my chicken food inside the hen house what do people think about it being outside and therefore keeping the henhouse cleaner? does the rain affect the corn and pellets?
 :chook:
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: keeping feed outside
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
Mine is in a big plastic bin with a tight fitting lid.  the only problem I have is if the wind blows it off and it rains.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:57:24 pm »
I think the rain would certainly affect the pellets - try dropping some in some water!!  It would depend on what you keep them in but we keep our layers' pellets in the boiler room (very dry) and the grain in the car port (but it is in a plastic sack.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:23:04 pm »
Mine are in an old style plastic dustbin in a paper sack inside a plastic sack. They are bone dry. I am lucky that the lid is quite tight and even forms a vacuum seal when its wet.
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:35:51 pm »
My lid doesn't blow off now that I've weighted it down.  Wet pellets go soggy and mouldy.  What I meant was that it is OK to keep the bags in a plastic bin outside provided there is a secure lid.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:40 am »
I keep chicken and pig feed in old chest freezers in the barn.  Our local recycling centre sells old freezers for £5.  I cut off the wires and keep the bags in them.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:46:56 am »
 :) i have always kept all feed in secure barrels to keep out the rain, rats etc i thought thats the way trading standards state feed should be kept i know it is with other livestock. :)
the barrels are water tight and cost very little around here we can buy them from three pounds upto ten pounds depending on size, i can fit 6 25kg bags of chicken feed in mine and they only cost me five pounds a barrel. :pig: :chook:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:51:53 am »
I was wondering? did you mean the feeder rather than the feed in its bags?
I have built a lean to type roof onto the side of my chicken hut and the feeders hang from the beam, so the rain is kept off the pellets. you can get big hat like lids to keep the feeders dry outside.
the bags of feed are kept in dustbins, with rocks to keep the lids on.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:57:56 am »
it may be water tight but what is the humidity doing to the feed. at best were told to only get enough to last 6-8 weeks. i would be worried that it would be effected by climatic changes too. one day very hot the next cold. were does your feed merchent store it. et its undercover. could you not get a small shed like a tool store to keep your bins of feed in.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 11:07:47 am »
I was wondering? did you mean the feeder rather than the feed in its bags?
I have built a lean to type roof onto the side of my chicken hut and the feeders hang from the beam, so the rain is kept off the pellets. you can get big hat like lids to keep the feeders dry outside.
the bags of feed are kept in dustbins, with rocks to keep the lids on.

yes i meant in the feeders, i keep my corn and pellets in our laundry room with the cat to keep away rats, mice etc.  lean to sounds like a good idea. thanks
Langdon ;)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 01:14:05 pm »
You can buy galvanised feeders that are designed for outdoor use they can be expensive but come in a range of sizes we have a large one approx £50 but we have never had wet feed and it holds more than enough for a full days feed. We have approx 60/70 birds of various types.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 01:17:19 pm »
I have one like carl mentioned.  Galvanised with a large hat on the top.  Keeps food nice and dry.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 02:07:14 pm »
your talking about feeders. how do you store it.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 09:27:40 pm »
I have 2 treadle feeders that are fairly expensive, but they are outside, under trees, pellets don't get wet and they are rat proof.

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 10:19:02 pm »
When I got my hens the info from the supplier was quite specific. The hens DO NOT need anything in the henhouse at night at any time of year. Basically when they are inside they are asleep. So feeder is placed  in their run (under a covered part) in the morning when they are let out and it is taken in at dusk when they go in. Can't see the problem. Food out when they are out, food in taken when they are in, simple.  ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS