Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping feed outside  (Read 6460 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: keeping feed outside
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 10:52:14 am »
Simple BlackRocks but does increase the workload dragging the food in and out every day

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 02:28:59 pm »
I have two feeders. One with a mexican hat that fits on top. It is a little low for my ex-batts and they used to knock it off when the rain started!!! They have stopped now. However the rain/storm we had on Sunday was too much even for this!! My other feeder is under a makeshit shelter. I think the birds know they are cornered and vulnerable and do not like eating under the shelter!! They do however eat the wet/damp food. I don't think this does any harm?!?! I took the lid off to fill up with fresh food only to have the clogged up damp feed fall on the floor. THEY NEARLY KNOCKED ME OVER TO GET AT IT !!!!  :D My girls really are fab   ;D  :chook:

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 10:40:57 pm »
Simple BlackRocks but does increase the workload dragging the food in and out every day
Don't understand you statement.  Taking on chickens is a commitment. You either commit to looking after your animals or you don't. You let them out in the morning (whatever time that may be and at that time you provide them with fresh food and fresh water.). You close them up at dusk and bring in their food container and water ready to refresh for the morning.). I have read posts on forums where water has been contaminated by toads and chickens have been poisoned etc etc. So why would you risk that. Increased workload- I don't see it as that, I see it as the responsibility you take on when you want to keep chickens. Help me out here other chicken keepers, please tell me I'm not alone!

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:03:59 am »
Hi

I have a barrel on wooden stilts which holds a 20 kg bag of pellets,it has a hole in the bottom which i have a huge tight spring attached from the inside the food falls down the inside of the spring which is pecked by the chickens and releases about 6 - 10 pellets at a time so the girls don't have an excessive amount lying around to get wet or attract vermin...... i then keep excess bags in a store room with other chicken accessories

Hope this is of help

Lavinia
Lavinia

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS