Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not the usual trouble with worms!!  (Read 2909 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Not the usual trouble with worms!!
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:04:24 pm »

Some very strange behaviour from our Welsummers tonight. I was digging in the garden, and thought I'd feed them a few worms that I'd uncovered. Now first of all they ran away whenever the worms wriggled, but soon got used to them, and started pecking at the grain I'd scattered around them.

So, to encourage them, I put the worms on a wee tray, along with a handful of corn. They then proceeded to peck off all the corn that was stuck to the worms, but ignored my intended main course entirely!

They still scratch about in the fallen leaves like proper chickens, but what's the point if they won't eat what they uncover!?! 

You don't suppose they're vegetarians do you?  ??? :o ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Not the usual trouble with worms!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:08:50 pm »
weird they usually go mad for them. do they normally scratch for food.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:12:37 pm »
Yes, they scratch about quite happily. They were also outdoor reared as soon as they were off heat, so it's not like they're ex batts or anything!

Our Black Rocks will go to any lengths (or jump to almost any height  ;D) for a juicy worm. However, I've noticed they aren't all that keen on slugs (shame, as we've no shortage of the **** things here!).

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:18:19 pm »
Lol!! My chucks did the same with caterpillars, it was funny to watch, they freaked out an ran to the other side of the pen, but eventually ate them so mine arnt veggies  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:16:58 pm »
Yes, mine ran away from the caterpillars too, then they saw the ducks eating them so they joined in - there was plenty for them all, but the caterpillar brothers and sisters disguised themselves long enough to fool me and decimated my veges.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »
they don't like leather jackets either. shame we had hundreds.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:46:49 pm »
Keep at it womble
Mine are having a sprinkling of NZ flatworms every now and then. I'll be really upset if they manage to find one of our precious few pink ones.
kirsty

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:29:17 pm »
OK Marigold - will keep persevering!

If I can't bring them round to the idea, I'll start sticking the worms in the post to you instead - we have plenty to spare here!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:10 pm »
Yes please - It took 5 years in our last place to build up a good supply.
I could always post your chooks my NZ flat worms in case they prefer the flavour!!!!!!!
kirsty

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:32:10 am »
Er, no thanks Marigold (Dan - we need a 'Yuck' smiley! - actually, how about this one? )

Actually, I remember finding flatworms in the garden when I was a kid (i.e. 20 years ago I reckon, and before anyone was making a fuss about them). Strange that they haven't made it the 15 miles down the road to our place in that time.

Hardfeather

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 10:07:40 am »
If the worms were 'brandling' worms.......the ones with the dark rings which live in compost, the hens won't eat them. They have a strange odour which, I think, puts the hens off, although they are great for the fishing. Earthworms are usually eaten with gusto.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS