Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens are bullies - update  (Read 2424 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Chickens are bullies - update
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:04:59 am »
I don't like my chickens at the moment.  I got 3 x 12 week cuckoo Marams over the weekend.  I installed them into the chicken coop that evening and all was quiet.  We now have the pecking order going on and I have never liked bullies (shouldn't have chickens then, should I).  They are only little babies, well they are about the same size as my smallest Brahma cross.  I know things will settle down.  The babies are eating well and drinking and pooping.  They have their own perch away from the thugs. I will get my older ones out this weekend so that the youngsters can have the run in peace.  I know I should have introduced them possibly in a better way, but the pecking order would still have taken place.  Any idea how long this will last? 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:20:56 am by r+lchick »

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Chickens are bullies
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:40:47 am »
Hiya

Yes Chickens can be rotten to each other - pecking orders are dreadful things. :(

Can't tell you how long it will last, but if it goes on for more than three days, I would
be tempted to take the bullys out, put them in a dark box on their own for a day or two, then put them back in, it usually sorts them out.

Good Luck - it is normal, but not nice to watch ::)
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:47:37 am »
Yup, agree with Julie.  Take the bullies out of their comfort zone for a few days, the youngsters will establish their own levels, but I wouldn't put the bullies totally away - a run inside the pen where the others are would be better.  They will all be able to see each other and become accustomed to them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:31:29 am »
They are all bulling them.  However, two of the cockerels are going to be roast dinner this weekend and they are the biggest of the bunch.  Hopefully, with two less around things might quieten down.   :cat: :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:44:06 am »
Ah, I see - it's the cockerels that are fighting - that is normal.  I would never keep more than one cockerel in a flock unless they are fairly calm and docile.  If it's the hens do as I suggest and keep the older ones penned but in full view of the other hens.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:05:58 am »
Well, Ron and Reggie and no more and were delicious.  But we have further problems.  Our last remaining cockerel is now a bigger bully.  He stands over the pop hole and stamps his feet and even the old girls are scared to come out.  I now have to pick them up and turf them out.  (Looks like roast chicken again this weekend.)  As for the bullying, I think I have been very cruel today.  The young pullets which I am trying to introduce always had the chicken house for refuge.  Well today I closed the pop hole so that they can't run back in.  It seems very cruel, but the pecking order has to happen and if they are always in hiding, it will never happen.  I have put loads of food over the ground and the corner where they are cowering in, I have fresh water.  Tell me I am doing the right thing.  It seems so mean.  All the older girls pick on them, even the little one which is the same size as them.  Any further suggestions would be appreciated.  Ros  :cat: :chook:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:21:12 am by r+lchick »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Re: Chickens are bullies - update
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:20:21 pm »
An oblong or square box made of wood and chicken wire - you can buy them as rabbit runs for about £60 but easy to make for very little.  Place upside down on top of your old girls (can also be moved around with them under it) and give the youngsters some peace - then when they have gone to bed let the old girls out so they can go to bed too.  Do it every day for three or four days and things should have settled down

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:05 am »
I have a feeling it is the cockerel who is causing the problem.  One of the old girls has started staying in the house now to get away from him.  She is the smallest of the 3 old girls and when inside does not peck at the new ones.  She does has a mooch and watches the entrance (he is usually guarding it).  Looks like it is roast chicken again this weekend.  On a good note, all six were on the same perch last night.  This morning the new ones were off and under the mesh for protection. 

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:32:27 am »
Poor you.  It's so horrible watching that happen!

I've been really really lucky having just introduced 15 5 week old chicks to my 5 12 week olds (including 2 cockerels!) and all's been well.  I just shut them all in the hen house together and there was very little squaking at all.  They do peck the wee-er ones when they're out but thankfully aren't too hard on them.

It's quite funny watching the younger ones stand up to the bigger ones and peck them though!

Thankfully nothing too harrowing.  Hope yours sort themselves out soon. x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS