Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turning fleece into yarn  (Read 5797 times)

mijbil

• Joined Jun 2013
Turning fleece into yarn
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:48:23 pm »
Hello all, I'm looking to turn my Herdy fleeces into wool for knitting- yes, I know it is not the most comfortable wool and is better for carpets, but well, I just fancy a nice scarf! Seems a shame to throw it all away, particularly with such lovely natural colours, brown, grey and white.

Does anyone know where I can get some turned into yarn for knitting?

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Turning fleece into yarn
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:49:43 pm »
There's one very good answer to this question and that is to learn to spin. It's great fun and very satisfying .

Other than that maybe have a look at using a peg loom to make fleece into rugs.

There's loads of spinning videos on you tube and loads of other places on the net to find info on peg looms.

If you are a knitter and belong to Ravelry there's a beginner spinners group.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:07:25 pm »

I think that most mills require a minimum weight of fleece of 20 or 25 kgs to do a spin run - their machinery is large and less than that is just not worthwhile.  However, you could try Halifax mill at Goole where I think they have the ability to spin small amounts as well as whole batches.  They are a very helpful lot.
You could also try the various Mini Mills around the country, where they will do smaller amounts, but I seem to remember they are proportionally more expensive than a larger mill and have a long waiting list.

I have a Herdwick sweater which my MIL knitted for me many years ago - it's still pristine as it was so painful to wear, and very hot, that it's had very little use.
I really really would advise you not to knit a scarf  ;D  The skin of the neck is very delicate and you wouldn't wear it more than once.  Boot socks now would be perfect, or gloves  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:55 am »
Hi Mijbil! I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. I've got 4 ewes and fancied some hats from their wool. I found a local girl to spin a couple of balls of wool and then a friend's mum knitted me 2 brilliant hats! But now I've leant to spin! I'm still very much a novice - my wool is thick and 'rustic' looking but I'm now in the process of knitting a throw!!! My knitting skills are very basic as well, but the pleasure it gives me to spin and then knit my wool from my own sheep is amazing! I'd really recommend it! In fact the lady where I keep my sheep has taken it up as well and we're both going up to Northumberland in July to a wool event called "Wool on the Wall' - it's near Hadrian's Wall. So perhaps see if someone could teach you to spin!
4 pet sheep

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »
Hi Mijbil

I have PMd you

I may be able to help, I do a lot of hand spinning + I teach spinning in a local craft centre.

SV

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:50:34 pm »
I'll second Moprabbits reply. its taken me 12 months to get to a stage where my yarn looks less like a rope trick and more like yarn but along the way i've learnt to process my own wool so that I can get the best out of it. Here I've rooed the fleece ( so no cut sticky hairs) and then blended it with alpaca. If you like herdwicks you will be the one to get the best out of their fleece  give spinning it yourself a try!

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 02:46:22 pm »
Very impressive

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:49:28 pm »
Kanisha,
Your yarn looks very good.  I tried spinning some alpaca myself this week and it was sooo slippery I gave up. I then tried it blended with some Romney and its much better. It still doesn't look as good as yours though.
Well done  :thumbsup: :spin:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:48:53 pm »
thank you  :) its the first time I have tried with alpaca,  beginners luck! :spin:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 05:12:11 pm »

I love it Kanisha - what a gentle, pleasing colour.  Have you something in mind to make from it or will you just be loving the skein?  :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 05:56:22 pm »
 :) I would love to do something with it Fleecewife, but my knitting skills as are also at  very early stage hopefully I will be able to work out how to knit something with it  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS