Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: prolapsed anus  (Read 4314 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
prolapsed anus
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:22:49 pm »
In the 12 years i've kept sheep i've never seen one until this year when i've had 2.  I have ewe lambs develope prolapsed anus'.... both have been PTS now, one went in the freezer as a home kill but the other had been treated with antibiotics and painkillers so she went to the burner.
We lamb December and barn keep until weather permits a turn out, this is sometimes before weaning, sometimes after, all depends on how awful weather is.

These were approx 5 months old so good strapping lambs looked well and were about to go away to some land we had for summer grazing as they were destined to be ewe replacements.

We never push our lambs especially ewe lambs because they need to go on to live and produce naturally although they did receive some creep in the early stages because no grass in the early spring. Both ewes seemed to just prolapse almost over night and within a week of each other. One was very bad and as i said we just did the right thing and had a home kill.
The other wasn't too bad and with vet advice we treated her. He seemed to think she would grow a bit and the prolapse would regress with time :thinking:  i was a bit unsure of this but we did proceed. Anyway she just got worse and it looked like the bowel was starting to infect so we said enough and had her shot.

A friend of ours who pushes his lambs for show said he reguarly sees this and has them stitched back in!!! :o  i wondered if any TAS people have seen this before and what the outcome was.
We have had to Vecoxan a lot this year and we do have a very big crow problem here... any relation there i wonder. Hope i never see it again.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: prolapsed anus
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:42:43 pm »
As a vet I've only seen one, was probably acour related, and also fly struck so was pts.
I believe it is commonly related to coccidiosis as the bug creates a very forceful scour, so your need for vecoxan this year would fit with coccidiosis scour being the cause of the prolapses.
Sorry for your losses, but sounds like home kill was a good option for the second, and hopefully the vecoxan will keep others safe

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:56:20 pm »
As another vet I've seen a few! Treated with stitching and oddly, all have all been fine. All were fattened and killed at leisure bar two; a pedigree Texel and a pedigree Charollais which were probably sold for a small fortune to some poor unsuspecting! None had been scouring and some were getting on for a year old so why they happen I cannot tell you but in these cases Cocci wasn't implicated

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:59:49 pm »
Seem to get at least one case per year mostly a ewe that prolapses after lambing , sew in the vagina  she keeps pushing despite  abs and pain killer and pushes out the anus more stitches and injections , all settle given time .   Only seen it in a couple of lambs due to severe  scour and  twice in young suckled calves again just sew in injections and no further problems

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:07:47 am »
Goldie, my Castlemilk Moorit, had a small prolapse of her anus last year - so at over a year old, never been tupped, not overfed, not fat, not wormy, not overfull of grass, no apparent reason whatsoever.  Vet fixed it with a tape. 

I knew I should probably not keep her on, but ... well, she's Goldie :hugsheep:

I knew I should probably not tup her, but ...

Well she's geld, and still here, and very fit.  If she doesn't do it again this summer, with how fit she is and being geld, I may risk her to the tup again.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:01:57 am »
Thanks for the replys

We have had a bad dose of cocci this year, seems a bad year for it, many friends are suffering on their farms too. It's one of the reasons we like to send the ewe lambs away to clean ground for a while.
Sally i know what you mean, this particular ewe lamb was a corker too and we were gutted to have to shoot her. She came from a line we really wanted to keep a ewe from. Why is it always your best /favourite that has to go :'(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:53:33 am »
Sally i know what you mean, this particular ewe lamb was a corker too and we were gutted to have to shoot her. She came from a line we really wanted to keep a ewe from. Why is it always your best /favourite that has to go :'(
:hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS