Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soay acting odd,  (Read 5759 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Soay acting odd,
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 01:09:51 am »
Pretty little thing. Don't apologise, we all learn for the first time sometime.
Can't tell much from pics but eggs are like tiny grains, off-white/creamy in colour and in clusters adjacent to one another a little like a bundle of fine grass seeds. They'll be under the wool or between flaps of poo generally in a warm, wet darkish area. Maggots start not much bigger but feed and grow at an astonishing rate. Sticky dark patches of fleece only really come when the maggots have established.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 08:52:04 am »
Fortunately I don't seem to have a big problem with fly strike ( ? position on a hill) but certainly a sheeps behaviour does alter even just with flies being present. in this case it may be that the sheep isn't struck but is avoiding flies. They tend to keep their heads down into the grass ( it looks like they are sniffing but its not the case) and they will dance if flies continue to buzz around them. 
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Toe

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 09:04:21 am »
We've had exactly the same behaviour in our soay flock several times, I think it may be reactions to biting flies, midges maybe, we treated ours for mites and biting lice, they had recently been crovected. It certainly wasn't flystrike... I shouldn't worry too much unless the sheep begins to 'act ill' - go quiet etc...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS