Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Never Ending Question of Which Breed??  (Read 4013 times)

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
Never Ending Question of Which Breed??
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:56:49 am »
Hi, me again! ::)
Based on Rutland/Lincolnshire border and wondering if anyone could help with a bit of info on a few breeds that I'm look at to start a Pedigree flock. Looking to sell lambs for meat, possibly breed some good Pedigree tups to rent out, would love to start showing if possible, and also would ideally love a breed that gives good wool for my mum to hand spin and market the wool. I'm also only 17 so an easy handled breed would be lovely, but I do have lots of experience so I can grit my teeth and work some muscles! I know, lots of criteria! But any advice would be great!

So, the breeds in question; Shropshire Downs, Ryelands, Hampshires and Suffolks??
I prefer the look of the Hampshires and Suffolks overall, but have heard that the Shropshires have good wool for knitting, as do the Ryelands? Bit of a pickle! Any opinions would be brilliant!
Ta  :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Never Ending Question of Which Breed??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:11:42 am »
Renting rams out comes with a few problems I would imagine, biosecurity ones for you and them. Breed a good one then sell it would be my advice. My preference of your two favourites would be for Suffolk, simply because Hampshires are suddenly so popular you are likely to struggle to find something genuinely good for a sensible sum of money. Possibly the un-trendy Suffolk would be a better bet?

There you are, an opinion.  :knit:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:38:17 am »
Hereabouts the Suffolk (non-show type) is still very popular for crossing on Welsh mountain breeds.  Show type ewes have a reputation for being "too posh to push" but I think it's because they've been selectively bred to look good in the showring but the big head and legs makes the birth process too tiring for the ewe.  We hire out Southdown tups but all are wormed, feet checked and quarantined for six weeks after their return, or are culled after the standstill period.  We're getting increasing enquiries from farmers wanting to go back to the "old" breeds as folks get tired of lambing problems with Texels and Beltex and thin fleece on Charollais crosses.  Sold a couple of rams to a chap with Scotch mules lambing outside in April, for just that reason.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:56 pm »
Is there a reason you've already discounted other breeds?  For instance, Southdown? Llanwenog?  Norfolk Horn?  (Beautiful spinning fleeces all ;)  :spin:)

Personally I'm not a fan of dopey Suffolks, and they certainly do not all have nice spinning fleeces.  And many have poor feet, so I would avoid if your ground is on the wet side.

I'm not sure what Hampshires are like to spin; if I remember I'll ask a friend who has Llanwenog and Hampshires, and spins.

And I've no idea about Shropshire's fleeces, sorry.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:42:49 pm »
Llanwenogs here ....  prolific  150% lambing percentage in our first year which didn't sound great till I remembered over 2/3 of ewes were ewe lambs!
  Lovely wool .  Not too big to handle,  and so far lambs growing very well.  I bought half of mine from someone who shows.

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:04:26 am »
Didn't want anything too obscure, and thought having something like Suffolks or Hampshires could be used as terminal sires for more commercial flocks, meaning a bigger market for me to aim at? Will have a look at the 3 you mentioned SallyintNorth, thanks! Never heard of Llanwenogs before, but they seem to be popular!
Thanks all  ;D

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:12:39 am »
The thing with Terminal sire production, is that although it seems like a good way to go, most folk are unlikely to take a punt on an unknown ram from an unknown flock in their breeding programme. It's similar to the pedigree market in that it takes a long time to build up a good reputation.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 09:27:30 pm »
I have a theory to this question. Most breeds of sheep are the shape and size they are by many hundreds of years(in many cases) of selective breeding and developing to suit the areas they originated from by our forefathers, whether that be mountain hill or lowland breeds. For example Cotswolds look right in the Cotswolds,Suffolks are suited to The lowlands of Suffolk and Herdwicks to the Northern High regions. This is not to say they will not thrive in other areas but many don't. Different soil types,weather variations etc play a factor in this. This is just my own opinion but I do prefer to see the right breed of sheep in the right location.

novicesmallholder

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Worcestershire
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:37:59 pm »
Shropshires are great, we are addicted to them. Great personalities, great fleece for spinning, good  meat,  easy to lamb. Why not have a look on the website.

www.shropshire-sheep.co.uk

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:32 pm »
Thanks for your advice everyone, been interesting reading! Think I'm going to give Suffolks a go, lots of them round here and met a guy at our local county show whose got some smaller bred ones and says he's got stock for sale not too far away, will let you know how I get on! Ta  ;D :sheep:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:13:26 am »
Good luck  :thumbsup:
Good points made by shotblastuk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS