Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soay acting odd,  (Read 5760 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Soay acting odd,
« on: June 01, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »
I have a soay that's acting oddly, thoughts appreciated....

She is sitting down,  gets up moves quickly  a short distance sniffing the ground, then sits on all fours again, it's really bizarre behaviour.

Two days ago she was fine and  was shedding her fleece and was looking a real mess so I managed to catch her, held her with one hand by her horn whilst pulled off dragging fleece, was this the wrong thing to do
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Soay acting odd,
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »

This sounds like fly strike.  get her in a again and have a really good look over her entire body.  You can pull off the rest of her fleece too, or shear it, which will make it easier to keep her clean, and to see if there are maggots.
If not then maybe mites?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 03:47:35 pm »
Why I was removing the fleece I didn't see anything but at one area there was some sticky yuck
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 03:58:31 pm »
Better check her again as soon as you can - fly strike can happen so fast... (I just had a case of fly strike on my new Soay lambs). It's hard to see anything before the maggots hatch, and then suddenly you have a wriggly messy horror and a real emergency.  :fc:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:03:49 pm »
Never had strike on mine  :fc: but have read that an area of strike looks 'wet'. Perhaps that is what the sticky area was. Would get her if you can and check carefully. Hopefully some experienced folk will be along soon to help.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:09:23 pm »
I have ivomec drench, would that be a good place to start

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 04:17:08 pm »
If you have fly strike you need to find and clean off the maggot-affected area (you can use specific fly strike products but if none to hand a Savlon solution or tea tree in water has been recommended to me here).
I'm not aware there is an 'internal' treatment for fly strike though someone more experienced might know better.  (Depending on severity of the wounds caused you may need antibiotics, but this is to keep infection at bay, not the maggots as such).

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 04:23:52 pm »
 :wave:
Check down her sides, just in front of the hind legs.  We had a sheep a couple of weeks ago who was getting the strike right on the skin there, down both sides.  It was really hard to spot and took a number of attempts to clear them all off.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 04:49:47 pm »
I was going to say flystrike too, when I read your post - and I see others think the same.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 05:24:34 pm »
I lost a ewe to fly strike yesterday  :gloomy: .  Her lamb is 4 weeks old and won't take to a bottle :( .  I thought she was acting oddly and drinking a lot but didn't think more of it till she was collapsed when it was too late.  Flys are awful this year.  I've now dagged the flock and crovect'd the lambs.  My shearer says he'll be with us in a day or two but that'll be too late if they strike again.  Crovect is the only treatment and preventer but shearing reduces the risk by miles. 

Sorry, a bit off subject, just unloading.  I'm livid with myself :rant: for not doing something sooner.  Fly strike is easilly prevented and cured but only if it is caught early - really early.  In summary - assume its fly strike until you're certain its not.  Sheep don't act oddly for no reason.
Never ever give up.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 06:20:00 pm »
So sorry to hear that DartmoorLiz. We've come close. It does happen incredibly fast. One year, a poor ram was covered right down his spine and rump in writhing maggots. Bless him, he let us work for ages on him whilst we scraped them all out and covered him in maggot oil. We've never got that bad since. It only takes one to get you twitchy for them being twitchy. I've been told that Dectomax can help but not had experience of it personally. Another cause of the same kind of jumpiness in sheep (though ALWAYS check for flystrike first) is just before a storm the electricity in the air affects them.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
Acting more normal this evening as I can't catch her :rant:

This behaviour that I have noticed has only been the last 2 days , in the afternoon when it has been quite sunny and warm, it's obviously now cooler although I'm not. :innocent:

Would that be a factor as well. I will try again first thing.

I will also try to get photo as I think her fleece is now very short.

Are maggots generally white?

Thanks everyone
Mojo

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 09:54:19 pm »
As far as I know maggots (and eggs) are white. But they bury in the fleece so it's not obvious until you look closely - my 5 day old lambs have very short fleece too, still I only saw the maggots once I caught them. and really looked for maggots (I saw the flies though).
If you can't catch her try to observe her for a while if you see flies buzzing around you definitely have a problem, if you can't see any flies then the issue may not be fly related (as far as I understand it anyway, my experience is limited but I've just been through a fly strike case).

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »
Behaviour too, like taking hem selves away from the rest of the flock is sometimes a sign, on looking for them I also listen for them too, they sound like rice crispies when the milk hits them, disgusting things, no good to man nor beast!! X

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:29:37 pm »
Managed to get her...

...had a look through but didn't see anything moving, whilst I had her applied ivomec. How small would the eggs be ? are they minute and dry like headlice eggs or wet like larvae eggs.

Please excuse my ignorance

Mojo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS