Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GLASGOW Meeting on Monday 7th December  (Read 26216 times)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
GLASGOW Meeting on Monday 7th December
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:57:05 pm »
Hello all

As some of  you know I am visiting Scotland between 4th and 8th December,  :love: as a treat for finishing my three year studies in Social Science. ;D ;D ;D

I am hoping to meet a lot of Scottish TAS Members in Glasgow on Monday 7th December at around 12.30 - 1.00pm.

As most of you will be travelling in by train on the day, I need some ideas of hotels with nice big lounges, or even food hall/cafe area in a shopping centre, where we could all meet up, and eat or drink if we wish to, but will have enough room for us all to sit and chat for an hour or three  ;D ;D ;D.

I haven't been to Glasgow for 16 years so am out of touch  ::) and would love to firm up some arrangements before the Christmas Lunch rush.

All are welcome to join and the more the merrier - if you can make it - put the date in your diary now and PM me, then at least we may know how many chairs we will need on the day  ;D ;D ;D

I know Happy Hippy, FluffyWelshsheep and baby, Sandy, annie, Marigold, cmorrel, and a good few others wish to make it - and I am getting really excited at the prospect of meeting you all - and taking some photos of lots of TAS members together ;D ;D ;D

PS  Hope "JD" can make it as you live in the town  ;D ;DPPS - Where's Annie - she has not posted for a while ???

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:47:19 pm by Snoopy »
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

HappyHippy

Re: GLASGOW Meeting on Monday 7th December
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:12:40 pm »
I'm coming  ;D ;D ;D
I know that The Copthorne Hotel is in George's square quite close to the train stations (central & queen street) but there are loads of places !
Here's a wee taster !
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLJ_en-GBGB346&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurants+near+central+station+glasgow&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=restaurants&hnear=central+station+glasgow&view=text&ei=XqbUSujMPJCi4QbTwpHJBw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQtwMwAw
Quite a selection ! Personally I'm fine with anything  ;D (don't want any budget breakers that close to Xmas though)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:14:04 pm »
Just found St. Enoch's Shopping Centre, says it has 850 seats in a Food Hall - looks a nice place on the web site - Europe's biggest glass building - wow...

Is it a good place for us all to meet?

Julie

PS Just noticed that Annie is on hols in Wales - hope she's back soon.

PPS How is James - are you out of hospital and have you got this date in your diary James as my Pygmy Goats say I have to meet you  ;D ;D ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:17:43 pm »
It's a food hall in the shopping centre - lots of fast food type stuff, McDonalds, Baked tatties, pizza, sandwiches etc etc - but lots of room. There's also the Buchanan galleries shopping centre - it's nicer than st enochs (IMHO) I'm pretty sure it's got a food hall too - I've not been out in town for years ! I'll have to check with my sis  ;)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:21 pm »
I'm coming  ;D ;D ;D
I know that The Copthorne Hotel is in George's square quite close to the train stations (central & queen street) but there are loads of places !
Here's a wee taster !
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLJ_en-GBGB346&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurants+near+central+station+glasgow&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=restaurants&hnear=central+station+glasgow&view=text&ei=XqbUSujMPJCi4QbTwpHJBw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=4&ved=0CDYQtwMwAw
Quite a selection ! Personally I'm fine with anything  ;D (don't want any budget breakers that close to Xmas though)

Yes its near xmas for budgets - which is why I thought that the food hall in the shopping centre would be good - we can all buy what we can afford, or just have a natter ;D ???  Also it should be quieter on a Monday than on other days, hopefully.

I am hoping to do a bit of xmas shopping - any craft fairs on on the 7th and 8th in Glasgow, or nice places to buy
stuff for a 11 year old girly girl into horses - let me know ;D ;D ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:13:30 pm »

Also it should be quieter on a Monday than on other days, hopefully.

LOL !  ;D ;D ;D
Glasgow city centre, 18 days before Xmas - quiet  :o you're kidding - aren't you ?  ;D
There is a Christmas craft fair, but it's on the 19th unfortunately.
Millers art shop is a good place for crafty stuff to keep her happy or there's a huge big hobbycraft (it's out at Glasgow Fort in Easterhouse though, so you'd need to drive or taxi there) There are lots of wee independant shops selling unusual stuff but most of them tend to be in the west end - Great Western Road, Byres Rd area. The city centre is mostly big chains as they're the only ones who can afford the rent! St Enoch is all standard high street shops, Buchanan galleries does have one or two different ones, my fave's the bear factory (just cos I can make bears with personalised (and / or rude) recorded messages for peeps ;))

sandy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »
I'll let  you all know nearer the time, just got full up for next weekend and we have people booked in until end of December at least, so, as I said, I will see...be a nice trip out and if I can come I will definatley come on the train so I can have a relaxed time!!!!!fingers crossed xxx

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:17:14 pm »
I'd like to throw the suggestion of Doocot on level 5 of The Lighthouse into the suggestion box. Friendly staff, not bad pricing and pretty good food. Nice casual atmosphere with no problem moving tables together etc (I hold a weekly tech/creative meeting there).

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 01:18:35 am »
The Lighthouse sounds ideal - but not everyone may wish to buy a meal etc. will they mind us taking seats up if we are not all spending - how does it work when having meetings?  Do you hire the room?  Or is it always available? 
How far walking distance would it be from the Train Station that Central Scotlands trains land at??

Sorry for the technical turns like land at etc, but all I know is that I'm coming in from Dunoon and its a different station, but within 10 minutes of the other station  ??? ::)
- need to get myself some names of stations and a map dont I - wheres my friend Nancy  ::)when I need her... she will have to get a couple of herb plants  ;Dalong with her pet dog  ;Dso she can become a TAsser :o, she doesnt have room or time for hens etc. ;D ;D ;D  She is intrigued that I suddenly know so many people in Scotland - he he he

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 01:30:32 am »
There's no problem just having a coffee or indeed nothing at all.. the meetings I run are very informal and people range from buying nothing to full meal. No rental and no booking required.. just turn up and take a table or tables and move them together.

It sits between Central Station and Queen Street Station, the two that people would be arriving at and is only a few minutes walk from either.

Here's their website and there's a menu with pricing on it: http://www.doocot.co.uk/

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 04:23:08 pm »
I can see why you have meeting there - it looks ideal.

They are offering a Christmas Menu though so we will have to check nearer the time if they will be too busy.
Pleased you are busy - keep up the good work and good luck with your plans etc.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:56:09 pm »
I am thinking that The Copthorne - suggested by HappyHippy, and The Millennium Hotel which I have just been in touch with is the same place. ::)

It seems ideal to meet here, either in "The Millenium Lounge" or Georges Bar, both of which have a coservatory overlooking St. Georges Square which will have ice skating on the day, and also christmas lights and other entertainment. ;D ;D ;D

May even ask ryanair if I can bring my ice skating boots free - no triple salcoes though, the last one I did was down the stairs and that nearly killed me

Getting giddy now  ::) ;D

sandy

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
 :)I hope I can make it, we seem to be getting busier!!

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 01:17:47 pm »
I hope you can make it too Sandy - its a Monday, so your OH may let you have
a few hours away, and stand in for you - hopefully, as I am really looking forward to meeting you ;D ;D ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:52:10 pm »
The Copethorn/Millenium Hotel holds fond memories of excessive cocktails at their happy hours as a student  ;) But it's a good spot & near enough to both Central and Queen street stations to be easily accessable. It gets my vote  ;D
I'll not be joining in with any ice skating though, my centre of gravity is too low and I keep falling down  ::) (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it  ;))
OOooo getting so excited now, can't wait to meet everyone. It's funny how you can build friendships with people and feel like you really know them without ever having met. Like Julie says, it'll be lovely to put faces and voices to names. The date's in my diary, I'll talk to the childminder and see if she can take Connor for the day, that way I may even be able to come in on the train and enjoy a wee bit of festive cheer without having to stay sober and drive  ;)
See you all soon I hope  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS