Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: where to buy seeds?  (Read 7775 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
where to buy seeds?
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:16:11 pm »
so where are you buying your seeds from this year?
in the past we have done the expensive orders with gardening catalogues etc and been stung by local garden centres, where its probably cheaper to go to tesco and buy the veg ready to eat  :roflanim: :roflanim:
asda used to be quite cheap for deals on good quality seeds  but we have left it a bit late this year and they have almost sold out.
we are growing with an aim to providing cheap veg and salad rather than a huge passion for special varieties.
so any tips on where to buy cheap reliable veg seeds?

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: where to buy seeds?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
bought most of mine off ebay - company called justseed - good selection and reasonable price. Only made 1 mistake with order and instantly sent replacement including a free pack and told me to keep the one they sent in error.
Didnt have any failed seeds of note from them last year either 
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:57:06 am »
I use the real seed company. Probably not the cheapest, but seed from everything they sell can be saved (no F1 hybrids etc.) and they give detailed instructions on how to do this.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:05:27 pm »
Lidel & Aldi still have them around Ammanford SA18 area  .

Lidel has a better & bigger selection .
It's still not too late for all manner of flowers & veg ..they soon catch up if sown this time of the year & are pampered with a drop of light fine sprayed on water twice a  day now that the temps are around 14 oC plus  daytime & 10 oC plus at night . 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:29:05 pm »
Like Q we got a lot from ebay - justseeds and something like premierseeds (I can check if it helps). Good prices, good number of seeds and very happy with the results so far...

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 12:46:55 pm »
seedparade - great germination rates, good choice and very cheap herbs vegetables and flowers

CPWSolf

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Somerset
  • Wannabe Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:19:28 am »
Got all mine from Wilkinsons/99p store. So far great success in the propagator. Broccoli, cabbage and kale all have germinated really well!
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:44:49 am »
we use justseeds too. We have had good results with Wilko's own brand seed - not so much with Lidl (although that could be me!).
Also have a look at mole's seeds and king's seeds (online) - much better prices than garden centres and a huge selection.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 09:29:04 am »
thanks very much. i am dangerous on ebay  - i got carried away and was thankfully outbid! phew
will have a look at whats suggested. thankyou

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:38:58 am »
Kings seeds do special arrangements for allotment associations where you pay 2.50 per year and get access to a full catalogue but at reduced prices.  I think the average pack was about 60p.

My current allotment association are not part of the scheme  :gloomy:

So, if you know anybody near you who is a member who is on the scheme you may have to be nice to them while you select your seeds   :innocent:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:55 pm »
Waitrose have a good variety of vegetable seeds aswell as flower seeds.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

happyharry

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »
I've used to buy Kings seeds. good quality and germination, but over the past few years I've been buying at Wilko, Lidl, and Aldi. Have to say that the germination isn't always as good and the range limited. This year I bought some seeds from Moores (mail order from Langham, nr Colchester). Excellent seeds, although you have to buy largish packs which don't cost much more (per seed) than Wilko but may mean you have a lot left over

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 11:08:43 am »
Just found this. No idea what they are like, but very cheap. As little as 5p per pack  :excited:

http://www.park-promotions.co.uk/acatalog/cgseeds.html

Hope there good I've just ordered 89 packets  :o 8)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 06:06:42 pm »
That's a  good range..like the red curly kale ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:53:16 am »

Good find.  I'm surprised at the range of varieties on offer, and wonder what the seed count is.  Also when were they packaged ie are they last year's seed.  Or am I being overly suspicious?  Probably  ::)

Let us know how you get on with them, and how their germination rate compares with the better known seed companies  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS