Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please help Identify and cure problem with Squash  (Read 2536 times)

Earth Ways

• Joined Dec 2012
Please help Identify and cure problem with Squash
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:13:06 pm »
Hello everyone.
We have a wee problem with our Squash in our polytunnel.
Leaves are turning yellow and a white mould is attacking
Please see pictures

What is it?
Is there a cure?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:14:41 pm by Earth Ways »

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Please help Identify and cure problem with Squash
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »
I've noticed in the past that squash/courgettes etc get mouldy very easily in tunnels... Not enough ventilation, I'd say. They always seem to do better outside. I start mine off under cover (fleece), but had to leave the covers off long before flowers developed as they were starting to get mouldy.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:25:53 am »
Mine tend to do that outside. it doesn't affect the crop though - just doesn't look so good.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:26:14 am »
They are very greedy plants so need plenty of organic matter around them, and plenty of air circulation.  If you have a door either end, leave them fully open 24/7 and any other vents you have. They may be a bit overcrowded looking at the piccy so removing the most affected plants may just help with air circulation around the others.
I usually grow them outside but am trying two indoors this year but they are well spaced.
The leaves outside do get a bit of mildew on the leaves but it has no affect on the fruits  :relief:

Hope you don't lose them, its so depressing with all the time spent getting them to this stage  :fc:

Earth Ways

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:53 pm »
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.
I did remove the ones that were affected. The mould seems to be disappearing. Is there anything I can do to help recovery of the ones that are not too badly affected?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS