Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some changes at the abattoir...  (Read 3218 times)

HappyHippy

Some changes at the abattoir...
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:49:23 pm »
This might only apply to Scotland, not had time to check yet  ;)

We took some pigs in this morning (Large Blacks, for bacon  :yum:) and the lady in the office was telling us that from 1st of June any pigs going for slaughter, who were born outside, will need to be tested for trichonella (I've definitely spelt that wrong - sorry !) Previously it's only ever been sows that were tested at ours.

We always bring pigs in to the shed at farrowing time, so are okay from that point of view, but I know many people farrow outside and just wanted to make you aware of it.

Obviously it doesn't affect us (pig keepers) directly, but it does mean more work and paperwork for the abattoirs....which in turn, might lead to slaughter prices going up  :thinking:

So, if you farrow your pigs outside, it might be worth checking if you're area will be affected - they very well might not be, I don't want anyone to panic, but I wanted to let you know anyway. It might just be Scotland that this is happening in - but it's a heads up for you all anyway.
Karen x

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Some changes at the abattoir...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 05:58:33 pm »
There's been no mention of this at the abattoir we use here in North Wales. Sows are tested but everything else goes through. There was something in the press not long ago about meat inspectors actually doing less testing not more?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
No legal changes as far as I know, so hope/suspect it is just your abattoir, but anyone else know different - please let us know !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:49:18 am »
 :wave: Hi - anyone on this forum who lives and keep pigs in France  may find this of interest "Trichine".
http://pigsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=109&func=view&id=10243&catid=2

Karen - we have to declare on our movement forms for pigs going to slaughter that they have been raised outside.  We get our wrists slapped if we forget.

We were told by official letter a year ago  that the inspectors at the abbattoirs found evidence that Trinchine was on the increase. No increase on slaughter prices - just reassurance that our meat is inspected.

We haven't had any carcasses or livers confiscated yet  :fc:

Ollies Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 03:46:47 pm »
I took two pig to slaughter yesterday and the guy I hand the paperwork too suggested I add the words 'Controlled Housing' to the Production System box under the FCI Declaration or else the Inspector would have to test the carcasses (at the time he couldn't remember the name of the thing they where testing for) but reading HH post I am now thinking it was for Trichinella.

The guy implied that the abattoir was trying to avoid carrying out these further tests, I have checked the FSA report for the carcasses and only the routine checks have been carried out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS