Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame lamb  (Read 5096 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
Lame lamb
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:53:31 am »
One of my ewe lambs is limping badly does not seem to be able to put any weight on the leg what should be my course of action

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Lame lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:33 am »
Most likely to be one of two things-
1) scald- we've had far more in the lambs this spring than normal prob due to so much lush wet grass rubbing between the toes
2) twisted it leaping about- they can barely weight bear for a day or two and then right as rain- ours all usually have at least one ankle twist
I'd catch her if possible- check for scald and bit of blue spray if it is. check ther'es no heat anywhere in the leg just in case its something more serious.
we had a couple on Monday who were on 3 legs- we checked for a couple of days planning to catch them weds if no better. by weds not a sign of lameness

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:26:40 am »
catch it with the crook round a back leg and then have someone run in and catch her then sit her up on her bottom to immobilize her
now check all four feet to make sure there is no sign of foot rot  or similar and the nails
overgrown nails was the problem on the farm i was recently on so we just cut them back and left said sheep in the garden field so we could keep an eye on them for a few days

search youtube for trimming sheep nails or feet or something like that :p
Cheers Ed

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:40:29 am »
I've got a similar problem, hopping on 3 legs, she went lame on Tuesday so I caught her and purple sprayed her feet but no better. We are reading the tb test this afternoon so I'm going to pull her in and get the vet to look at her.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:57:08 am »
If a new lamb, could be joint ill. If it could be this, best to contact your vet asap as they really only come right if treated hard and fast

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:04:33 am »
I've got a similar problem, hopping on 3 legs, she went lame on Tuesday so I caught her and purple sprayed her feet but no better. We are reading the tb test this afternoon so I'm going to pull her in and get the vet to look at her.

up here purple spray is for first aid but blue spray is for scald.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:13:20 am »
Yes I know I took my blue spray out to the field and it exploded all over my hands, hence purple was better than nothing.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:01:20 am »
Yes I have got scald - doesn't usually come this early? My lambs are only 3 weeks old!

They are lame, but still difficult to catch!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:42:43 pm »
Never had it in my young lambs before but also have some with scald (or did until I blue sprayed them 2 evenings ago).  They are all walking well/jumping about again now.  They are due to be vacinated this weekend and so will be spraying any again that I see with sore feet. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:27:09 pm »
I think this is why ewes track across a field, so that they are less likely to get scald :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 02:00:48 pm »
Haven't seen scald since 2007, when we vaccinated for footrot and moved them onto fresh gound every 16 days for the next couple of months.  An unexpected bonus!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 04:28:22 pm »
Well vet has had a look at my lamb and come to the consensus she has a joint infection in her fetlock :( so had a jab of alamycin, painkiller and staying in for the weekend with a friend for company  :unwell:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS