Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ouessant Sheep - Trees and Electic Fences / Netting  (Read 3812 times)

5Acres

• Joined May 2014
Ouessant Sheep - Trees and Electic Fences / Netting
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:48:45 pm »
Hi,

I've been googling and found a few on here have Ouessant sheep so am hoping someone can help me.

I have just ordered 2 wethers to use a lawnmowers in my woodland (3 acres of 6yr old trees) as it was suggested that they were the best type for this.

I intended to use an electric fence to keep them contained and move it around the land but some say that sheep aren't bothered by electric fences and others say that horned sheep shouldn't be enclosed by electric netting.

I wondered if anyone can give me their experiences with Ouessants

Thanks

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Ouessant Sheep - Trees and Electic Fences / Netting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:00:12 am »
Are you in the UK? As I understand it you can't use  electric netting if you have horned sheep. I have used tape and a hot wire as a temporary fence -  Ie there is a perimeter fence and it is used to section off an area of grazing inside that area. It is not a setup I would recommend for use where  the sheep are left unattended for any period of time and always at night the sheep are in a fenced area with no electric fencing.

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:28:08 am »
 :wave: i agree you are not ment to put horned sheep in electric net . you can run 2 or 3 single wires on a rapa reel system worked on my ewes when i wintered them on an arable place. never had quessants but shropshires are used to graze young woodland and they dont damage the trees

5Acres

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
The land has hedges but I don't think they are good enough for sheep so I was hoping to rely on the fence.

It's next to my house so I'll be there daily.

I spoke to a small holder yesterday who uses 2 wires and said that's all she's ever used and had no issues - I'm unsure what sheep she had though.

What is the difference / benefit of tape over std elec  wire / string ?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 05:32:58 pm »
I chose tape over wire as its a visual barrier once learnt  the sheep are imo less likely to push past it. I rarely turn mine on and they treat it as a fence.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:12:56 pm »
We use white rope electric fencing for our little flock, the theory was that it's more of a visual barrier than wire.  We're newbies to sheep keeping and originally had problems with one ram lamb escaping (and nibbling at my cider apple trees, the little beggar).  My (very clever and patient) wife watched and found that he was pushing under the bottom rope.  Of course, muggins here had left the power off on the very low bottom wire to stop it grounding.  Anyway, I now strim the length of the fence when I move them and keep the bottom rope live as well.  That's worked without any dramas so far.  We do use a 4 reel system for the sheep, but maybe 2 would be enough if there are no lambs.

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:26:27 pm »
Tape is good as a visual but i have it and don't like it - gets twisted, wires break at the corners (and therefore don't conduct) etc.  I haven't had it, but would 6 mm rope work as well on the visual side?

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »
None of my cross breeds respect any kind of electric, even when just sheared, if there is more grass on the other side they just push through or jump it!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

5Acres

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:47:54 pm »
Thanks

Following advice (and searching on here) I've bought a mains energiser and 6mm rope if that doesn't work then I'll go with the wire mesh fencing

I don't get them for another 2 months

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS