Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SHopping for rams  (Read 15708 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: SHopping for rams
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 06:57:52 pm »

Hand shearing Ladygrey?? Tough woman. If I didn't have clippers I would try a pallet load of Veet hair removal cream before hand shears!

My electric shears werent working properly, and I struggle with the size and weight (1.6kgs) of the handset, I can hand clip a sheep just as short and neat as the electric clippers, just takes longer and hurts for a few days after

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »
 :wave: hi i have easycare ewes i tupped the bottomend end with a beltex .heavyer lambs at birth but were much slower to get going . pure easycare were up in seconds ,beltex x took good 5-10 mins. fancy a new zeland suffolk this year ,or a hampshire but just read some posts here they can be slow to  ???  .

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 08:36:58 pm »
What is fast or slow? anyone got the data? I felt a Charmoise ewe lamb had been really quick  to get up and go and re-wound cctv to time her and from hitting the floor to both up and successfully suckling the teat was 2 mins 30 exact, I thought this was very fast (it seemed good!) but is it? What is fast?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 08:47:11 pm »
I too would be interested in the national average, or how long it actually is when people say "quick to get up and suck"

my lambs sired by the hampshire down cross charollais must have taken maybe 5 mins to get up, one lay flat for maybe 10 mins before he tried, they look lovely and big now but still no where near as lively as the rest, this might be quick to some people I suppose and im comparing them to more sprightly hill breeds...

my lambs by the charmoise and shetland took around 2 mins, shetlands im sure are born running, had to catch and tag asap before they ran off into the distance

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »
What is fast or slow? anyone got the data? I felt a Charmoise ewe lamb had been really quick  to get up and go and re-wound cctv to time her and from hitting the floor to both up and successfully suckling the teat was 2 mins 30 exact, I thought this was very fast (it seemed good!) but is it? What is fast?
:wave: most of my pure easycares be up well within a minute .outdoor no cctv  :P .  one i watched lambing it hit the ground suffled round on its knees ,ewe turned a bit and it was sooking would have been 20 seconds max ,still on its knees :thumbsup: . about 3 years ago flock was almost 50/50 easycare and x the other half charollais and xwas not sure which way to go. we had a real cold sleety wet lambing time !!!!..................they are nearly all easycare now 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 08:51:46 pm »
thats what i like to hear 2 and half mins that s brilliant going!! 

my idea of slow is lots of nursing and lights to get them stoked!

Sally i see your point the head always being narrower than the shoulder,   i dunno i still dont like the look of them, they look too short in the jaw for me (can tell im a pony person....cant stand short heads  in ponies neither lol )

thank you again all for your imput, im sure bazzais will cast his eye over the thread, its good to hear all your two penneth :)   

:excited:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:02 pm »
sooking.... one of the most beautiful words ever ahhhh x

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2014, 08:54:23 pm »
so the easy care (please excuse my stupidity) when do they tend to shed ?

seconds... 1 minute........., ours (the naturals, old hands etc) are pretty quick  but under 2.5 mins ..or  seconds... i like it :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:57:23 pm by Hellybee »

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2014, 09:02:10 pm »
Speed /time of wool shedding is effected by various factors

1) genetic---they have the ability to shed
2) Environmental---weather/temp----as spring comes along they start shedding
3) Sheep condition/stress---barren hogs tend to shed first, then ewes with singles, then those with twins etc
A poorly/sick ewe will not shed wel

I wool scored the hogs last week (score how well they have shed as a %age) and the average was about 60%)
Wool scoring enables us to breed from the earliest and best shedders

There are plenty of different wool shedders about--wiltshires/easycares/dorpers (not so good at shedding) /exlanas etc

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 09:05:42 pm »
Thank you Tim, thats fascinating,  tell me more about the Dorper, what are theyre qualities, good and bad .

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 09:29:07 pm »
Dorper

Good fleshing/growth rates and nice carcase
Poor shedding compared to wilts/exlana/easycare etc
Terrible feet---they are bred for a dry arid climate and suffer terribly in UK. I used 2 rams in a breeding program (3800 ewes) and I can say that for the next 3 years any animal that was lame had a 90%+ chance of being from one of these Dorper rams

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »
No good for us then, we are pretty wet here judging by the last few winters. we are on a headland and we get it all!

Whats the exlana? :dunce:

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 09:48:16 pm »
Exlana is a composite shedding breed, with an emphasis on performance recording, heavy culling/selection and breeding for results, not pretty faces  ;) ---'Genetics not cosmetics'

We started with recorded woolly sheep (usually from the top 10% of the recorded breed) and then bought in top shedding genetics from around the world. Wiltshires, Katahadins, Barbados Black Belly, Easycare etc
The lambs are all weighed at birth , 8 weeks, 20 weeks etc . back fat and muscle scanned. Additionally we breed for worm resistance , doing about 1000 individual FEC counts every year. Things like lamb vigour and wool shedding, foot scoring, lambing ease are also recorded for all ewes (5200 in the breeding program at the moment) ---all this is fed into a BLUP evaluation (big statistical engine!) and we select on results
we are also involved in on going research--current projects include trying to identify genetic markers associated with worm resistance, wool shedding genetics  & use of FEC EBVs to reduce anthelmintic use

Try www.provensheddingsheep.co.uk or www.sig.uk.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 09:56:53 am »

You forgot this, "Me" -  :-J

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 10:43:45 am »
Me isn't as as fast as Me used to be! I think if you can't even imagine a lamb up in 2 mins 30 its time to change tup!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:44:25 am by Me »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS