Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SHopping for rams  (Read 15704 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: SHopping for rams
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 01:42:09 pm »
Plus if I have to look at a meat-breed tup, the blue Texels are slightly less ugly than average.

Had leg of Charmoise for dinner last night - it didn't taste ugly - it tasted beautiful! 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 02:35:23 pm »
thank you all very much, i only say about the charollais under lamps as one of our neighbours had a bit of a time of it getting them up and running lol

so what is the chamoise?? a charollais crossed with what?

i appreciate good conformation be it pony or sheep.    i want excellent well balanced limbs that therefore allow for well balanced feet/hooves, good heartroom, excellent backends, tailset and hindleg.

are the blus texels narrower through the brow?

yes, i am asking myself, why dont we get more lleyns. 

oh decisions, decisions lol x 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 02:41:30 pm »
they don't have such big heads as the British white Texels, so easier lambing

Once you're into Texels, IMO the size of the head is irrelevant.  I've never had a Texel x lamb whose head was the largest part.  The shoulders are larger and the hips can be larger still.  Which is why we select tups with narrow shoulders and not overly double-muscled backsides. ;)

One big difference I have found coming to BH's farm and working with Texel types over my experiences on the moorland farm with Swales and Mules as mothers to Swale, Blue-faced Leicester and Texel and Beltex tups is that when helping a mum to lamb a Texel, the meaty-type mums pretty much always need both legs forward whereas the roomier Swales and Swaley Mules would often be able to lamb with one front leg back.  So again - it's the shoulders that are the sticking point. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 02:59:13 pm »

so what is the chamoise?? a charollais crossed with what?

A Charmoise is its own breed, it isnt crossed with anything, full name is Charmoise Hill Sheep

They are older than a charollais and they helped form the charollais breed (according to websites)

The Charmoise hill sheep website is down for some reason but this has some good info on them
http://bramcotemain.wordpress.com/charmoise-sheep-sales/

The ewes are short and wide, weigh around 55-60kgs, the rams weigh around 80kgs
Wool is very good quality and they are nice tempered sheep, the lambs are known for extremely easy lambing, they are born very tiny with teeny tiny heads and shoulders and then they grow like weeds from the moment they are born

You should go and visit "Me" if he is close to you and have a look at his if you are interested, mine are on downland grass that grows faster than they can eat so may look different to the ones that are up free ranging in the hills of "Me's" farm

Below is the photo of Charmoise sired lleyn cross lambs (taken from the charmoise sheep breeders facebook group)

And this is a photo of my pure bred charmoise lambs at 5 weeks of age

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 03:03:10 pm »
MMM liking the chamoise cross lleyn!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »
A couple of photos of my Charmoise ewes

A ewe showing her nice bag

Lambs at 3 and a half weeks old

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
I will be selling the Charmoise x Lleyn at Cardigan again this year so you could virtually roll out of bed and see what they go for if you are interested!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:29:04 pm by Me »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 03:11:34 pm »
When are you putting them through?    we tend to go Crymych :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 03:38:44 pm »
Go to your bedroom window, look out with binoculars, they are mine, no not those they are yours, right a bit, yes them. Alternatively its the ones in the truck shown in the photo higher up the page with green marker on them

We have sold a few rams in your area (some of these people sell through Cardigan and Crymych) maybe you know some of them and can ask them how they got on?

Buy a Charmoise and start selling at Cardigan instead of Crymych!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:29:43 pm by Me »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 04:00:47 pm »
According to Wikipedia, the Charmoise breed was developed in the middle 19th century in the centre of France  by crossing imported Romney sheep from United Kingdom to ewes from local breeds (Merino, Berrichon, Solognot.)

If any are about up this way, or get sold through Carlisle, I think we will be going to have a look-see ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 04:05:30 pm »
You may get David selling from Bramcote Mains up your way but not many are making the trip

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 04:17:24 pm »
On my first look-see I came away with three in lamb ewes and a ram lamb  :eyelashes:

I was pleasantly surprised by how feminine and pretty the ewes were, I dont know why but I was prepared to find them much more ugly and piglike than they were in the flesh, but they had pretty girly faces with white hair and the softest loveliest fleeces
I am also suprised at how easy they are to handle, I hand sheared mine which took forever due to my lack of practice and they literately fell asleep during the shearing  :thumbsup: they are my only welsh sheep and they are my easiest to handle and tamest! dont know how that works  ::)

Hopefully you get to see some somehow as they really are lovely :)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 04:26:27 pm »
Me are you in Verwig then or closeby?

Mmm i prefer the set up of crymych :) x

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
Ok so I'm not that close, you would need good binoculars! But I'm not far the nearest I have sheep to you is Pentregat and we are South of Synod Inn just off the main road. Its a pain dropping off at Cardigan isn't it? Crymych is easier

Hand shearing Ladygrey?? Tough woman. If I didn't have clippers I would try a pallet load of Veet hair removal cream before hand shears!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:46:33 pm by Me »

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 06:38:50 pm »
http://www.baber.co.uk/

Go see this guy for fit/grass fed/performance selected terminal sires ---you won't be disappointed

Texel/Suffolk and SufTex rams---they are not fed anything but grass , they produce lambs that get up and go and subsequently put on weight on grass alone
They are nothing like the tex or Suf rams you will find at the sales

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS