Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric fence?  (Read 12455 times)

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: electric fence?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 01:36:30 pm »
I have tape - its rubbish.  Gets all twisted and wires break at the corners.  I have found solid galv wire best, but don't know on the rope, although its got to be better than tape.  Have had no problems with stakes, mine are 4 ft and quite thick.  I have found at corners its best to spend the time to put in a braced wooden post otherwise the strain is too much.  As to getting out, ours haven't, and i know a farmer who doesn't have problems, but i think electric fencing is only really for subdividing, not as a perimeter fence.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 01:40:55 pm »
We have posts as in your pic 1 with stranded wire. We only use it for subdividing the field for sheep. They are very respectful of it. In fact when we move them they don't even like going over the place where the line was.
It works very well for our purpose.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »
sorry, next question now!

spacing between the poly posts? is 4 m too far? would 2 m be ok? this is with nice solid wooden posts on each corner and either side of the gate with those screw in insulators
Cheers Ed

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »

spacing between the poly posts? is 4 m too far? would 2 m be ok? this is with nice solid wooden posts on each corner and either side of the gate with those screw in insulators
Cheers Ed

I use 14 paces which I am guessing is 10m+ between poly posts.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 08:06:17 pm »
I usually look at the contour of the ground and go from anywhere from 2-3metres on rough ground to 10m if it's flat ground and straight in line wiring.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 08:11:50 pm »

Cheers Ed
sounds good, i shall only order 25 poly posts for the moment then
I usually look at the contour of the ground and go from anywhere from 2-3metres on rough ground to 10m if it's flat ground and straight in line wiring.
I use 14 paces which I am guessing is 10m+ between poly posts.
level land but bumpy as in not flat and could do with a roller, so i should be okay with a 4-5m spacing?
Cheers Ed

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:09 pm »
I didn't realise what a difference there was in the voltage  (and therefore energisers) required to contain sheep vs pigs....I was hoping to strip graze and have wire, post type 2 but pig energiser :-(. Sheep voltage energisers seem to be about £200?  Think I'll be bashing in a few temporary fence posts and old fencing.......

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 08:54:24 pm »
Ed--- As Deere says the idea is to stop the sheep getting out so there has to be a certain amount of contour following to ensure there are no large gaps left under the wire. On a perfect flat surface you can put the posts 20m apart if you can keep the wire tight enough so that it doesn't sag between posts---but then when you cross a gully you may have to use 3 posts in 3 m
There is no hard rule I guess

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »
I didn't realise what a difference there was in the voltage  (and therefore energisers) required to contain sheep vs pigs....I was hoping to strip graze and have wire, post type 2 but pig energiser :-(. Sheep voltage energisers seem to be about £200?  Think I'll be bashing in a few temporary fence posts and old fencing.......
what voltage roughly for each? i have been told no less than 2 joules for sheep is all you need to look for?
i think i will be getting this one at £110, opinions?
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/gallagher-powerplus-fencer-m300s-31j
Cheers Ed

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:31 pm »
last couple of energizers I bought were MVF B2000---2 J --- running 3 strands around 50 acres each with no problems

earth it well

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 10:42:46 pm »
last couple of energizers I bought were MVF B2000---2 J --- running 3 strands around 50 acres each with no problems

earth it well
can't find a B 2000, you sure it wasn't the D2000 with dual voltage of 12/230v? 2J
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/mvf-d2000-12v-230v-dual-power-electric-fencing-energiser
also re they inside or at least sheltered or just outside on a stake or so?
Cheers Ed
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:45:38 pm by Young Ed »

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 08:15:30 am »

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 05:52:17 pm »
one final question now i have ordered the fence and just need to order one or two more bits and bobs including a earth stake
would something like this be total overkill and would there be any adverse affects?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Earth-Rod-1200mm-9-5mm-and-16mm-/171331875485?pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&var=&hash=item27e42cf29d
in the smaller size of 9.5mm(3/8")X1200mm
if so can someone point me to something suitable at a cheap price?
Cheers Ed

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 06:34:06 pm »
Save your money Ed!

Just get hold of some old copper water pipe, bring it to a point at one end, and hammer it in the ground!
Depending on the the type of soil you have, it may not be possible to get a good earth in order to make the most of the energiser. In which case, put a series (3 or 4) copper pipes in and link them together in series. You can also enhance the earthing quality by pouring a strong salt water mix around the earth rod(s) if the ground is dry.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:20:58 pm by midtown »
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 07:35:43 pm »
I just clip the earth wire to a steel corner post ---angle iron stuck about 8 ins into the ground---works well enough

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS