Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blade shearing/ gear courses  (Read 2201 times)

Scotshear

• Joined May 2014
Blade shearing/ gear courses
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:20 am »
Hi everyone, just trying to get it out there that the BWMB are happy to run blade shearing and gear courses if I can get numbers. I'm happy to host the courses on my family farm in Perthshire and we are looking at doing them around mid to late June. If anyone is interested could you please let me know. If anyone from further afield is keen we should have a couple spare rooms on the farm somewhere and a couple of caravans. Looking for a minimum of 4 max 6 for a blade shearing course (2 days)and min 5 max 10 for gear courses(1day) We are only 10 minutes out of Perth and buses run to within a couple miles of our farm so can pickup from there. Anyone interested just let me know and I will try and get definite dates together and the BWMB will send out details. Not sure about costs but around £100 I think.

archie hipwell

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Blade shearing/ gear courses
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:17:46 pm »
Hi - I might be interested in learning to clip by hand if you are running a course as we have a few sheep that always seem to need ideally sheared at different times so would be handy if I learnt to do a few at  time rather than having some with fleece falling off by the time others have enough lift to do easily! Might be worth putting upon "events" forum too if you are looking for people to make up numbers?

archie hipwell

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:01:14 am »
I should add that I still would want to use my regular shearer (Gary Nairn who is great!) to do most of my sheep as I wouldn't  do them all myself - just a couple of Shetland that always need doing ahead of the rest!!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:49:45 am »
Count myself and fsmnutter in for the gear course !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS