Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric fence?  (Read 12402 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
electric fence?
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:25:23 pm »
looking at the various different electric fencing options for sheep and have ruled out netting on the grounds of lambs and even fully grown sheep get caught n it from time to time potentially resulting in death and also it shorts out on the grass like mad!

so really i am looking at the stranded wire stuff or the white woven tape. i was leaning more towards the tape as it is more visible for the sheep so they are less likely to even test it
as the fence will need to be movable i need the stakes that you just pull in and out as you like, that means i am limited to 2 types:

we shall call this one type 1

we shall call this one type 2

i would prefer type 2 as they are more durable and have infinitely variable height setting on the various starands, but it is more expensive and harder to source

so what do you say you i trust modern plastics and don't stick with the idea that plastics are as weak as they were before i was born and just go with type 1? or should i splash out on type 2? is there the right and enough height settings for wire or tape even to keep lambs in? stranded wire or woven tape?

sorry lots of wee little questions but i am just a tad confused!
Cheers Ed

horlicks

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: electric fence?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 04:16:15 pm »
 I use option 1 with tape and 3 strands with pretty good success, although only dividing up larger stock proof areas. I have had first ewe out yesterday since post lambing turnout at the start of march. Probably best to train them to it when young or shorn, and some breeds seem to respect more than others. ( romneys I had wouldn, t even jump over 1 strand lying on the ground).
  There's a big difference  in the quality (price) of the different plastic posts available.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:24:15 pm »
I use plastic posts with stranded white wire, 3 lines.  Ewes and lambs all respect it but must admit it is on a massive powerful fencer which does our dear fence round our woods.  Agree with horlicks regarding Romneys, mine have to have the wire completely removed before i can move them through the fencing!!  RAPPA fencing do some good kits, i have 3 reels on a post which makes putting fencing out a doddle.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »
Plastic posts with wire or tape.  I have found that poly wire frays quite easily and the wool gets stuck to it rather well if your sheep do happen to run through it.  Tape in this respect would be more robust, however the conductivity is less I think.  You could always just use plain wire - depends how often you are needing to move it.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 04:30:05 pm »
I have not used these fences other than for the kids pony and pigs, I do use the nets and find they still work even with a fair amount of vegetation, I have found that sheep and lambs will get stuck in them the moment the battery runs down but have not yet had problems with a full battery

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
wire, 3 strands on plastic posts---light & cheap

80 acre blocks fenced at a time with 1 fencer, sheep only get out when pushed (by a dog for instance)

Rappa fencing are the best suppliers in my experience ---look them up online

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 05:52:24 pm »
I use yellow plastic rappa posts, with 3 strands of polywire, tape didnt work for me as if they do touch it they got less of a jolt

When I get a new kit one day (If I need to) I will use 2 strands of plain wire and 1 of polywire for a bigger shock, as sometimes the frisky ones need reminding

I have never had a post broken and I use my fence pretty much all year round, either to fence off large or small areas, from 1 acre up to 20 or more

This is the website http://www.rappa.co.uk/

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 05:53:53 pm »
The first year that I had lambs I lost one when it got caught in the electric netting as the battery had gone flat. Would never use it again, I would go with type 1 if I was using an electric fence.
Anne

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:56 pm »
Plastic posts with wire or tape.  I have found that poly wire frays quite easily and the wool gets stuck to it rather well if your sheep do happen to run through it.  Tape in this respect would be more robust, however the conductivity is less I think.  You could always just use plain wire - depends how often you are needing to move it.
so the plastic posts last ok? and do they have enough and low enough slots for tape for lambs? aiming to make up one enclosure and then move it when and as needed when they have exhausted the grass in that area (pretty good grass here)

I use option 1 with tape and 3 strands with pretty good success, although only dividing up larger stock proof areas. I have had first ewe out yesterday since post lambing turnout at the start of march. Probably best to train them to it when young or shorn, and some breeds seem to respect more than others. ( romneys I had wouldn, t even jump over 1 strand lying on the ground).
  There's a big difference  in the quality (price) of the different plastic posts available.
and the 3 strands keep the lambs in? and again they go low enough? what plastic posts do you use and where do you get them from?
Cheers Ed

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 05:58:08 pm »
thanks all, will check out rappa
Cheers Ed

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 08:10:27 pm »
Our sheep have no respect for the electric tape, just walk on through and the fencer is a mains one!

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 08:18:09 pm »
Our sheep have no respect for the electric tape, just walk on through and the fencer is a mains one!
tried the stranded steel wire stuff? maybe less visible but more conductive then tape. what breed are your sheep? ewes or lambs or what?
Cheers Ed

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21:08 pm »
no idea on posts or even tape vs polywire stuff

2.5mm HT steel wire with a mains charger hurts when you accidentally test it with your belly... trust me!!!

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 08:26:27 pm »
i was at one of these boring school presentations and one of the speeches was by a rather humorous guy who had been helping a duke of Edinburgh award expedition thing and at the camp site some lads decided they needed to get over an electric fence and they weren't sure if it was on or not so one of them decided to test it!  :o........ with his tongue!  :P  he could only say uhhhh HAHA

they concluded it was live :D
Cheers Ed

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 09:41:18 am »

so the plastic posts last ok? and do they have enough and low enough slots for tape for lambs? aiming to make up one enclosure and then move it when and as needed when they have exhausted the grass in that area (pretty good grass here)

Yes, use 20mm tape rather than the 40mm tape.

and the 3 strands keep the lambs in? and again they go low enough? what plastic posts do you use and where do you get them from?
Cheers Ed
Yes.  I use hotline ones (MVF ones are very similar). I personally prefer them to the Gallagher style ones.

I'd use 3 strands of tape but 4 strands of wire.

Also to train your sheep, erect a bit of electric fence in the middle of the field, so that it is *not* containing them.  Just put out like 10 metres or so.  Switch on the electric and let them learn not to touch it.  After a day or so you can then erect the electric fence proper and use it to contain them.  This is easier than having lambs etc jump in fright the first time they touch it and end up on the wrong side of the fence.  Less stress all round :).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS