Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric compost trommel  (Read 3106 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Electric compost trommel
« on: April 26, 2014, 07:44:57 pm »
I am planning to build one of these.

Has anybody built one? Any tips?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Electric compost trommel
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:34:56 pm »
if it were me, I'd look out for an old tumble dryer and mod it - rather then build from scratch.

maybe I'm just lazy  ::)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:54:59 pm »
I wouldn't know where to start modifying a tumble dryer although there's one for thirty quid local to me so I'm tempted.

The only modified tumble dryer trommel that I can find on You Tube goes too fast so I would still need to buy belts and pulleys and make a frame to mount the thing in. Since I already have a motor and the means to make the mesh sieve and frame, I can't see that getting a tumble dryer is going to make a big difference at this stage.

However, it's an option and now that I see tumble dryers for sale so cheaply on Preloved - I know where to look if the "from scratch" one doesn't work.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:22:51 am »
I wouldn't use a tumble drier as I think it would clog up, a wire mesh cylinder seems better but I would look into having the trammel at say a 25 degrees angle or 45 degrees with a blade like in a mixer may work slightly better

Can you make me one please but I want one that I can fill with a mini digger bucket one that will do at least a couple of tons per hour

Thanks, can you let me know when it will be ready for collection  :roflanim:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:10 am »
Call me thick if you like, but exactly what does this machine achieve Suziequeue? It appears to be taking out a few small stones and I can't see why that's necessary, unless it is the stones you want?

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:04 pm »
a tumble dryer !

now I have a wee it of experince making one of these and i would say really
look at the examples on the net, the flat vibrating ones are the most sturdy
and much more easily constructed, using you motor with an off center spin,
don't forget you may what different gradients the first thing to work out is how you are lifting the earth, how much dump wight
it will take and to what height also worth thinking about weather you can run a dumpper underneath. I made one with old iron sides car coil springs and a good strong steel
frame to start, the fall angle is important so best to give it several possibility's.
good luck   

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:28 am »
When I made my rotating sieve the weight of the material innit caused the cage to collapse where it tried to run on the wheels .
 I ended up using a couple of dozen scrap shopping trolley wheels taken off the castors & serviced with small spacers to try and convert the pressure points to long rollers .. gave up.
 Used a red & brown bread crate on a wooden frame plus the trolley wheels on the runners as a hand powered back & forth shaker/ slider ,  sat over the two wheeled barrow with a bit of 10 mm galv bird cage mesh wire in the bottom for the screen .

It worked well enough for me to stick nine or so  2x4 x4 foot ( 290 ish cu ft ) trailers of topsoil through it for dressing the new construct front & back  lawns prior to seeding them four years ago .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:15:34 am »
When I wanted to sieve the spoil from the greenhouse base construction back into it's beds I just parked my tractor with it's loader bucket next to the heap and made a simple wood frame with weldmesh to sit on top of the loader... shovelled the spoil on it, used the spade to rough it through and shook/slung the bits that wouldn't fit onto a new heap. It turned out very quick to do such that the next year I used it again to sieve a three yard trailer full. Low tech and got the job done quicker than the time spend building anything more sophisticated - unless you'll have lots to process in the future

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS